cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional V6 box

MikeTy
Tuning in

Hi,  I've recently upgraded to Ultimate Volt and will be receiving another V6 box shortly.  Plan is for my son to use it in his bedroom.  Excusing my ignorance I have a quick question - will he be able to watch TV in his room at the same time as me downstairs, but a different programme?

Second question - if I want to have a further TV elsewhere in the house am I better off converting to TV360 or acquiring another V6?

Cheers,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Mike,

Each boxes viewing is independant of the other boxes.

You will need a VM coaxial cable in your son's bedroom to connect the V6 box to.

If there isn't one then you'll need a manned installation.You can have a maximum of 3 V6 boxes and 1 TIVO box on your account.

With the 360 you can have a maximum of 3 boxes on your account - they aren't compatable with any other boxes.

If you do add a third box it will be an extra £5 per month on your subscription.

The following thread compares some of the feature differences between the V6 and 360.

360-Features-v-TIVO-Features/ 

There's also more FAQ's on the 360 here >  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jonpwatson5
Dialled in

HI.

I currently have 2 V6 boxes. One in the living room, the other in the bedroom.  Both boxes can be used at the same time and watch/record what they want.

Both boxes work independently of each other. I've not had any experience of the 360 box yet, although I'm going to look into whether it's worth upgrading to one so I can answer that part of your question.

Great - thanks for your quick reply. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Mike,

Each boxes viewing is independant of the other boxes.

You will need a VM coaxial cable in your son's bedroom to connect the V6 box to.

If there isn't one then you'll need a manned installation.You can have a maximum of 3 V6 boxes and 1 TIVO box on your account.

With the 360 you can have a maximum of 3 boxes on your account - they aren't compatable with any other boxes.

If you do add a third box it will be an extra £5 per month on your subscription.

The following thread compares some of the feature differences between the V6 and 360.

360-Features-v-TIVO-Features/ 

There's also more FAQ's on the 360 here >  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Dave.  Appreciated. 

"You will need a VM coaxial cable in your son's bedroom to connect the V6 box to."  I assume you mean that the V6 box will need to connect to a wall socket which in turn is connected to the outside box for it to work?  If so, then no we don't have that yet.   I was wondering if it would connect through WiFi - perhaps not!

Mike

I’m certainly no expect on the VM TV provision, not being a subscriber myself, but the on-demand stuff is indeed delivered over a network connection, which could be Ethernet cable or WiFi. But the live TV is delivered over a coax cable which connects back to the box on the outside wall, without that, it won’t work, neither will it start up properly to enable on-demand content, so, yes, you will need a coax cable run to your son’s bedroom.

Thanks very much for the advice.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also worth adding that if you remain on TiVo/V6 platform, you can have upto 4 TV boxes per home. 360 only supports 3.

That may not be an issue for you, but is one of many substantial differences between the 2 platforms. A conversion to 360 is a one-way process, so whatever you decide, do it on an informed basis.

Oh, and @jem101 is spot-on... VM TV boxes, regardless of software, need 2 connections. Co-ax for live TV, and internet for VoD, streaming & updates. The internet is always best over Ethernet given a choice, but reliable WiFi should be ok if the signal strength is sufficient.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's not right. It's 3 boxes for V6 too.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK, that was badly phrased....

3 x V6 plus one additional TiVo. Apologies.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks