cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an extra V6 box

WillQ
Joining in

Hi,

I have renegotiated a new package that includes an extra V6 box. I have one cable coming into the house for broadband and one for TV. Can I fit a 1 by 2 splitter on the TV cable to feed both V6 boxes? Any advise as to whether I still need the attenuator in-line or not?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That is up to Virgin to sort out.

Depending on your situation it may be better to insert a splitter in the drop box outside & externally feed the additional box via another wall point (your call).

The coax cable carries all services, so the line feeding your hub can be split to feed the additional box if required.

The tech will check signal levels after making any alterations & will make adjustments at the cabinet &/or remove the attenuator as appropriate, as the additional box will be a manned install.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply. No VM engineers will be on-site but I'm an engineer so hopefully should be able to sort it out. 

My setup is a strange one. I have one cable coming up out of the ground and this goes into the garage where it goes into a 2 way splitter. One cable then goes into the house for broadband and one for the TV. I'm thinking of adding a 2 way splitter on the TV leg.

There are multiple co-ax cables from a (now absent) splitter in the loft which were fed by a tv aerial (absent also).

I have a cable tester so I should be able to lash some co-ax cables together to get the signal where I need to in the house. Hopefully.....

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are not supposed to be making any alterations to VMs network coax. The RF system used is a shared resource, so if your alterations cause any noise ingress & this tracks back to the cabinet it can mess up all your neighbours connections (as another VIP here has found out to his cost). VM could charge you if their call-outs are traced to your alterations.

Obviously it’s your call, but I feel I have to point out the risks you are taking. VM will not charge you for any installation work with the additional box.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I've just spoken to a techy on the VM customer support number and explained the issue.

He said that it should be ok but the service on the new box may be bad if the cable legth is over 8 metres.

I'm going to set up the new box in tandem to the existing box just to get it registered then seek assistance with the relocation of the new box.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

CS staff should not be advising customers to make their own alterations.

I have passed this back to the forum staff as it should not be happening. It causes too many network problems.

Its not so much changing the length of cable as non standard cables & connections allowing ingress from Terrestrial TV, DAB radio & 4/5G Moblie traffic, all of which share VMs frequency spectrum.

Thanks, any assistance would be most welcome.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi WillQ, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community and thank you nodrogd for your assistance. 

I apologise for the information provided by the team, I am afraid this is incorrect as you would require a visit from one of our technicians to complete the installation. 

Making changes to the set up yourself could cause problems to the service being received and ultimately lead to faults. 

I would be happy to look in to this from our side and make the necessary changes to the order. To do this I will pop you over a private message which will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat