cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A lot of picture break-up in HD channels

aaronjb
Tuning in

We've recently noticed a lot of picture break-up (like weak signal on Freeview) on HD channels - adverts are usually fine but shows are almost unwatchable on some channels.

I'm assuming it's down to signal strength or quality, but the tuners show 97% strength and 38dB attenuation in diagnostics, however RS Uncorrected is racking up pretty continually which I think indicates a problem.

Any ideas what numbers I should be shooting for as I go around checking the coax cable connections?

Thanks!

Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've alluded to realising this, but pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've alluded to realising this, but pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks, yep it seems to be signal related - though I've been over all the cable joints and connections and not been able to improve it much unfortunately.

I'll wait till after the bank holiday and then make a call, unless CS get back to me here before then.

CS won't get back to you, so make that call.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi aaronjb,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've been having some issues with the picture.

Can you confirm which box you have? 

Can you also ensure the box is switched on so I can run through a few checks.

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

Yes it's the small v6 box - it's usually on standby rather than on-on, if you see what I mean!

The automated diagnostics yesterday flagged signal problems in the area when I called (the second number above and then the link it texted), thinking about it I am pretty sure the problems coincided with CityFibre digging up the street to lay their cables... But that could be a coincidence of course!

Thanks!

Aaron

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@aaronjb wrote:

Hi Yes it's the small v6 box - it's usually on standby rather than on-on, if you see what I mean!

V6 boxes only come in one size.

If you have two sizes of boxes, then you don't have V6 but a 360-master & 360-mini.

It won't alter the end advice, but if you have multi-room boxes and only one is affected, it does rule out an external fault.

Ah, I see what you mean - to me the V6 box is the small one as it's smaller than the old TiVo boxes.. definitely V6 though, not 360.

And I'm far too tight to pay for multi room, it's already over £100/mo as it is! 😉

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@aaronjb wrote:

And I'm far too tight to pay for multi room, it's already over £100/mo as it is! 😉

Without knowing your combination of services, £100/month could either be very expensive (and worth renegotiating) or very cheap...

But 360 vs V6 is the clarity needed here, so over to the forum staff...

Hi @aaronjb

Thank you for your response.

How has the service been since posting please?

If the issue is ongoing, could you please let me know if the picture is breaking up on all channels or just On Demand and Catch up please?

Please pop me a reply when you can.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide