Menu
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 1 of 44
Flag for a moderator

4K Upscaling - V6 or tv - it's your choice

The new software currently rolling out on V6 boxes sees the return of resolution switching depending on content. Version starts 20.9.1.rc2

This resolution switching used to be an option on the V6 but was removed a few updates ago.

But now back is the option to select multiple resolution options.

So you can select 2160, 2160 passthru, 1080 and 576p. Then the channel you select will be output by the V6 at the resolution it is broadcast in - and your tv will do the upscaling.

Most tvs (it is not the V6) will have a short video blank-out during the resolution change - which is normal.

But now it is the customer's choice. Either let the tv do the upscaling and get a short video blankout - or stick with the single resolution setting on the V6 and leave the upscaling to the V6.

I've opted for the settings 2160, 2160p passthru and 1080p.  Seems to give the best balance of good picture and rare blanking.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4K Upscaling - V6 or tv - it's your choice

....so by selecting a single resolution in the Settings, means the V6 will upscale everything to that resolution and selecting multiple resolutions allows the TV to upscale depending on what is being broadcast?

ozsat
Wise owl
Message 3 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Basically yes - so 2160 set only and the V6 upscales everything to 2160.

Set 1080 and 576 too and the V6 will output and the resolution of the tv channel itself - and the tv upscales.

So with all three set - Sky News SD switches the V6 to 576, Sky News HD switches to 1080 and the channel 999 switches to 2160p output.

@deans6571 wrote:

....so by selecting a single resolution in the Settings, means the V6 will upscale everything to that resolution and selecting multiple resolutions allows the TV to upscale depending on what is being broadcast?

deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

The new software currently rolling out on V6 boxes sees the return of resolution switching depending on content. Version starts 20.9.1.rc2

This resolution switching used to be an option on the V6 but was removed a few updates ago.

But now back is the option to select multiple resolution options.

So you can select 2160, 2160 passthru, 1080 and 576p. Then the channel you select will be output by the V6 at the resolution it is broadcast in - and your tv will do the upscaling.

Most tvs (it is not the V6) will have a short video blank-out during the resolution change - which is normal.

But now it is the customer's choice. Either let the tv do the upscaling and get a short video blankout - or stick with the single resolution setting on the V6 and leave the upscaling to the V6.

I've opted for the settings 2160, 2160p passthru and 1080p.  Seems to give the best balance of good picture and rare blanking.

.....dayam, just checked my V6 firmware and I’m still on 20.8.1RC11-VMB-11-C68. 

Smiley Sad

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 44
Flag for a moderator

The rollout started several weeks ago as I noticed this feature and posted about it, but I've no idea of the rollout schedule. When I select 576i and 1080i I get SD and HD, the home page is 720p.

Having done a lot of experimenting I no longer select 576i and 720p as I see no benefit in doing this, so I get the V6 to upscale both to 1080p.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 6 of 44
Flag for a moderator

As per the thread title - the big benefit is for 4Ktv users.  Most set-top-boxes 4k upscaling is not as good as tv sets.

I think the rollout schedule changes depending on several things. It would be unwise to say "London wil be on 1 July", then delay it a few days, and then again.

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The rollout started several weeks ago as I noticed this feature and posted about it, but I've no idea of the rollout schedule. When I select 576i and 1080i I get SD and HD, the home page is 720p.

Having done a lot of experimenting I no longer select 576i and 720p as I see no benefit in doing this, so I get the V6 to upscale both to 1080p.

kirk1690
Dialled in
Message 7 of 44
Flag for a moderator

So what's the difference between the two options .I tried the multiple option and it buggered up HDMI or something when it jumped resolution and TV froze everything locked .needed to reboot everything ,digital is easy annoyed .

0 Kudos
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 8 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Some tvs do not handle the change very well - others are fine.

If your tv can;t do active resolution changes then best left off.

@kirk1690 wrote:

So what's the difference between the two options .I tried the multiple option and it buggered up HDMI or something when it jumped resolution and TV froze everything locked .needed to reboot everything ,digital is easy annoyed .

0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

Some tvs do not handle the change very well - others are fine.

If your tv can;t do active resolution changes then best left off.

@kirk1690 wrote:

...hold on - are we now saying that VM are releasing V6 firmware which, potentially, can ".....bugger up HDMI and freeze TVS"???!

Smiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

Surely, this firmware needs more testing then??  This is not acceptable.......Smiley Mad

ozsat
Wise owl
Message 10 of 44
Flag for a moderator

No - I'm not aware of freezing etc. - there will be a resolution change which most tvs have a blank screen for a short time.

This is the tv issue and nothing to do with the V6. It will do it whatever device is connected.

If you have a TV that does freeze when you do the resolution changes on it - then switch off resolution changes.

It is YOUR choice.