cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v6 to 360 Upgrade

stevepole
Joining in

Hi,

I have recently re-negotiated my package which included an additional V6 TV box & remote. I requested that I wished to retain all my recordings on my original box. Having set everything up I noted there was an option to upgrade to 360 via firmware/software. Not having the new remote for the 360 box I was apprehensive of upgrading without the remote in case it wouldn't work with the V6 remote. I rang Customer Support !! and was told it would be an additional cost to upgrade. Is this correct? Also, I have read on numerous forums that if you don't upgrade manually within the menu's, it will upgrade automatically after 5 days. (also been told that both boxes will be converted to 360). I'm beginning to wonder if the upgrade would be worthwhile. (are there any Youtube video's showing the new interface?)

An thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Steve,

There is a cost of £24.99 (for the new remotes) when upgrading to 360.

Taking out an additional V6 box first is the way to go if you are thinking of upgrading to a 360.  If you have two working V6 boxes then they both retain their hard drives for recording purposes.

If you only have one V6 box and upgrade to TV360 then that boxes recordings and series links will be deleted as part of the upgrade process as the hard drive is formatted.

Then if you wanted to add any additional boxes they would be mini's (no hard drives), however if you already had two V6 boxes then they would both receive the over the air upgrade and you would retain the hard drive on both boxes for future recordings.

If you request a regrade to 360 and don't complete the manual upgrade when you receive the 360 remote then the systems automatically updater the box after about 5 days.

There's an old youtube video <here>  shwoing the 360 in operation.  It's a little out of date as it was posted over 2 years ago.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also remember this is not so much of an "upgrade" as a total change of operating system. TiVo & V6 run TiVo firmware, TV360 runs Horizon firmware.

The two are completely different, and the conversion of a V6 to TV360-master includes a reformat of your hard drive. All recordings and series links are totally lost.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stevepole
Joining in

Many thanks for your replies. At the moment I watch and record on the new/second V6 box, the other is on standby, but the recordings on it are accessible via the menu on the second box. Can I assume that it is not possible to upgrade only the new V6 box to 360 and not upgrade the old V6 box thus preserving all my recordings?

Again, many thanks for your information.

Steve

Hey stevepole, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

Right now if you upgrades you would lose all your recordings, there is no way to save them.

However most of them should be able to re-download pretty easy. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

@stevepole wrote:

Many thanks for your replies. At the moment I watch and record on the new/second V6 box, the other is on standby, but the recordings on it are accessible via the menu on the second box. Can I assume that it is not possible to upgrade only the new V6 box to 360 and not upgrade the old V6 box thus preserving all my recordings?

Again, many thanks for your information.

Steve

Both boxes have to be the same type, so you would have to switch both and lose all recordings and series links. These will then be difficult to set up again as unlike the V6 box the 360 only lets you set up series links for programs that are in the the TV guide (so are showing within the next week or two). 

The 360 is also missing a lot of features from the V6, with many of them patented by TiVo, so unlikely to ever show up. Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, default recording options, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.