cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sky sports uhd

gadgie1
Joining in

Hi I upgraded to sky sports UHD  but when i go onto the sky sports UHD channel the picture goes dark not black but it is noticeable I've tried changing settings on the tv and the box but there was no change. Can anyone help. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MarcosG260492
Dialled in

To cut a long story short / this is a technical issue with your tv. Sky use a format called HLG to broadcast HDR for numerous reasons. The one issue with HDR is that if you don’t have a very high quality television the picture will appear dark. This is due to something called NITS level (effectively joe bright your tv can go) the more expensive the television, the higher NITS levels it has. A decent quality LG OLED the UHD Sky sports looks perfect but lower quality sets that state that can broadcast HDR, will sadly look dark when HLG is being used. The issue is the same on Sky when watched directly from them on Sky Stream or Sky Q. One fix maybe if you tv allows you to turn off HDR or use 8 bits rather then 10 bits on your panel settings. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

73 REPLIES 73

HavencroftKev
Fibre optic

Hi all,

When I select the new Sky sports UHD channels the HDR just doesn't kick in, in fact my whole becomes significantly more dull. When I change channel the HDR or colour appears briefly before resorting back to the very dull picture.

My TV has HDR+10 so should be able to handle this.

Any help would be appreciated 

The Sky Sports HDR is HLG. What;s your TV make and model?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I'd second this the uhd sky sports is absolutely shocking they need to add a option to let you turn off the hdr as it's muting the colour and brightness and before anyone asks yes if the correct TV HD has better colour and brightness 

And also this is not the correct HDR channel as I've had it with sky it's called skysports main event UHDR virgin are charging for a channel that's not being decoded right or they're trying to add fake HDR whatever it is it needs fixing asap your charging £7 for this channel it's unacceptable 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey philiprolston19, thanks for your posts and sorry to hear of this confusion with Sky Sports channels and UHD display via our TV box.

We always love to help out, could you please tell us if by switching to channel 501 you can see the HD or UHD Sky Sports Main Event on there or other?
Also, have you visited your TV box menu to ensure your display settings are currently on the right mode? Is the HDR switched off?

Please, let us know more and we're happy to assist.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@philiprolston19 wrote:

I'd second this the uhd sky sports is absolutely shocking they need to add a option to let you turn off the hdr as it's muting the colour and brightness and before anyone asks yes if the correct TV HD has better colour and brightness 

Is it the channels implementation of HDR that's the issue or is your TV not HDR capable?  There are a lot of 4k/UHD TV's about that are poor at displaying HDR.

MarcosG260492
Dialled in

To cut a long story short / this is a technical issue with your tv. Sky use a format called HLG to broadcast HDR for numerous reasons. The one issue with HDR is that if you don’t have a very high quality television the picture will appear dark. This is due to something called NITS level (effectively joe bright your tv can go) the more expensive the television, the higher NITS levels it has. A decent quality LG OLED the UHD Sky sports looks perfect but lower quality sets that state that can broadcast HDR, will sadly look dark when HLG is being used. The issue is the same on Sky when watched directly from them on Sky Stream or Sky Q. One fix maybe if you tv allows you to turn off HDR or use 8 bits rather then 10 bits on your panel settings. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have an LG TV try turning HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour on or off to see if that helps.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks I have a Samsung 6500 series curved tv