cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I upgrade my original TiVo to tv360?

blurworld
Tuning in

My main concern is that,...

I have read that for the rare times when the internet goes down the TV 360 will. Show an error message about this/ glitch and does not work even for simple channel broadcast tv. The TiVo (non V6) usually keeps working for broadcast channels during those times.

Is this true?

Also, I am not a fan of change 😂... Is it more buggy than the original TiVo?

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly - the original TiVo is a very old box, ~13 years old now, and although the software is still fully supported, the hardware is old.

If you want to use the same software but have a much newer box, the V6 is still fully supported and is also the fault replacement for any failed TiVo now.

TV360 is a totally different software platform in a very similar way to Apple vs Android. TV360 & V6 use the same hardware, but that's where the similarities end.

TiVo > V6 is a very sensible upgrade. A TiVo > TV360 conversion should be thoroughly researched first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@blurworld wrote:

My main concern is that,...

I have read that for the rare times when the internet goes down the TV 360 will. Show an error message about this/ glitch and does not work even for simple channel broadcast tv. The TiVo (non V6) usually keeps working for broadcast channels during those times.

Is this true?

Also, I am not a fan of change 😂... Is it more buggy than the original TiVo?

The live channels will still work unless the entire network segment goes down. The recordings on V360 are tied to a local headend server, so no Broadband, no recordings.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thrice
Fibre optic

The recordings on V360 are tied to a local headend server, so no Broadband, no recordings.

I am not sure that's true. There was a big outage in my area a short while back. This meant that I had no TV, broadband, or telephone all that day. However, I could watch some recordings but only those originally recorded on the 360 box I happened to be watching.