Menu
peanuts64
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

search V360

Will there be an update to the search option on Tivo 360 to make it as useful as it was in tivo eg search by actor, director and able to use as a series link.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: search V360

I have no concrete proof, but would presume 'yes', particularly to keep up/stay ahead of Sky Q. Virgin have full control over the Horizon software, so presume it will improve over time. For example, Sky recently introduced the 'What Can I Watch' voice feature to show personalised recommendations. Their voice search has improved dramatically since launch.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The functionality you've described is one of the strengths of the TiVo platform and potentially covered by one of the TiVo patents.

I'm sure the Horizon/360 SL functionality is due for plenty of development, but... wishlists are probably one of the trickier pieces that could prove problematic to replicate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

peanuts64
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ok thanks

0 Kudos
Royalbeech
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why won't the search show stuff on the BBC iplayer? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The iPlayer serves 2 functions..

1: (Mostly) 30day (CatchUp) OnDemand facility for all BBC programmes - if 360 is anything like TiVo/V6, this should be integrated into the EPG & search

2: A BBC box-set repositiory, in the same vein as a few other broadcasters use their own apps for. This is sometimes integrated, but isn't always.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
roy247
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Adding to what japitts said,

Which search are you using, if you go to Catch Up you can select iPlayer at the top and it will list all series / programmes currently available on iPlayer, also if you do a search for Eastenders, which I don't watch, the earliest episode available on iPlayer from the all episodes list is the 30 March, you could always use the iPlayer app which seems to go back further. If it was a BBC specific  programme I would use iPlayer app, you may just be doing a general search for a film for example that isn't still available on iPlayer so that's why you don't get results for iPlayer. Do you have any specific examples of programmes that don't show in search results for iPlayer to be able provide a clearer answer.

0 Kudos
Royalbeech
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I tried searching for Luther, it only came up for virgin store and Drama.

I.can find all episodes within the iplayer, but would have hoped that it would be picked up through the standard search.

I would like to see all available programs to me, when I use the search and not be shown programs I have to pay for.

What's the point of search, if you have to go to each app independently to find a program???

0 Kudos
peanuts64
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would see the v360 as an upgrade but the search options and record options could be improved hopefully they will be!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Royalbeech wrote:

I would like to see all available programs to me, when I use the search and not be shown programs I have to pay for.

A point that's come up on here over the years. The EPG also shows all channels available, regardless of whether you subscribe to them or not.

The answer is that between the broadcasters & the platform providers, they see this is a "shop window" which is a polite way of describing marketing.

The STB software doesn't allow for differentiation of what's displayed, based on your package - and this is never likely to happen. It would also add more complication and possibly induce the possibility of errors in the search results.

0 Kudos