Menu
martinianpaul
Up to speed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wireless keyboard

Is anyone using a wireless keyboard with their Virgin STB?  I just got a 360 and thinking it might be useful.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wireless keyboard

Hello

I am afraid that you cannot use a keyboard with the v360 it will only pair up with the remote that is supplied. The USB socket on the back only supplies voltage there is no data signal so you cannot place a dongle in the back.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
martinianpaul
Up to speed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Useful to know and probably not something worth adding to a wishlist either. 

0 Kudos
BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I'll bite...why?  

I honestly cant think of a single scenario where a keyboard would be useful given 360 has voice control

0 Kudos
martinianpaul
Up to speed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well, for example, in the YouTube app or BBC I player, you still need to use the onscreen keyboard to search. Unless I missed something? 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What about a customer with a speech impediment, or a customer that doesn't have the capacity to speak?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The TV Go app allows you to search for content using a compatible mobile device but then play it back via the Virgin TV box.

This also applies for apps such as YouTube and Netflix with their 'cast' options.

For other services like iPlayer or Prime Video, they have a playlist that can be set on one device and accessed via the apps on the box.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is no reason why the TV 360 and V6 boxes shouldn't support a keyboard be it wired (USB), wireless (USB dongle) or Bluetooth. I used a Telewest Infrared keyboard that I bought on eBay with my Pace and TiVo boxes. It was useful for searches, series links etc. as well as the cwctv.net e-mail service although I rarely used the latter, I just registered for fun.

Typing using the remote can be tedious and, while I accept that there is voice control on the remote, it doesn't suit everyone and it's not always accurate.

I find that saying "fast forward two minutes" is often interpreted as "fast forward to minutes" which changes the mode to slow fast forwarding. I usually say "advance a couple of minutes" but sometimes I forget because the rest of the time I'm using numbers "three minutes", "four minutes", "thirty seconds" etc.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
0 Kudos
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

While watch TV yesterday afternoon I came up with an even better reason for keyboard support on the TV 360 box.

Not all TVs are 'smart' TVs and not all 'smart' TVs are all that smart. There is significant opportunity for Virgin Media to bridge that gap by adding a web browser to the apps available on the TV 360 which would necessitate support for a keyboard.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

many smart TV and fire TV have browsers. But stats from providers show that no one uses the TV for browsing. You would also have to support all the code needed like java script, HTML5 stc and that could become a security risk to the platform
0 Kudos