Menu
WoahWoahUser
Dialled in
Message 1 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Will Virgin force people onto V360?

Once the TiVo license is finished will virgin force existing customers onto the inferior horizon platform. If we refuse will we loose access to our TV service all together? Will we be offered discounts to switch to a platform where we loose fundamental features? Or will they let us leave our contracts early instead of switching to V360? Just been wondering about this after reading through a few forums, so I decided to make this thread. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will Virgin force people onto V360?

I'm sure this has come up before, but all the same.

Given that VM have a licence for the use of TiVo-software, and part of the "basis" for the Horizon/V360 development is to get the STB-UI in-house, then inevitably there will come a time when TiVo/V6 users will be offered, shall we say, an incentivised-changeover. That may/will probably subsequently become an enforced-changeover. Neither of these are processes that will be quick.

I'm sure part of the V360 project is to decide on the manner & timings of this, but there have been posts from VM staff in other threads saying that this is not likely to be anytime soon, and I'm sure I've seen quotes to the effect of "there is no licence expiring next year" (i.e. 2022).

Anything beyond this, I would suggest, is purely speculative. As regards the "inferior" software, I'm unashamedly a TiVo-platform fan and in no rush to changeover to V360 given current feedback. However, I'd also accept that TiVo is a fairly mature platform, Horizon/360 is the opposite and is undoubtedly getting a lot of development focus. Some TiVo-features are patented and may be a struggle to replicate, others I'm sure can be worked around somehow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 50
Flag for a moderator

The likelyhood is that TiVO will become a legacy product in just the same way as the preceeding Liberate platform boxes (V & V+HD) did. They will be supported for a while, but updates will be fewer & further between, & new features will no longer be added. This will be followed by a slow wind down of the available channels.

Don't forget. The V6 was developed solely with the Horizon 4 platform in mind. We got it V6 here in the UK as a test release way before it or Horizon 4 was released anywhere else.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

WoahWoahUser
Dialled in
Message 4 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I understand that the TiVo platform has had 30 years to mature whilst Horizon is only nearing its 10th birthday. However, they’re only forcing this platform on us because it’s so much cheaper for them, but the customer will probably never see the cheaper cost in the end. There are some better aspects to the V360 platform, such as the better integration with mobile devices and HDMI-CEC, but these are no match for the might of wishlists and series link+, a feature which is hard to give up. 

0 Kudos
stephentucker
Dialled in
Message 5 of 50
Flag for a moderator

In my opinion 360 is nowhere near as bad as often portrayed. I really dont get the series link obsession. What do most people do beyond simply telling the box to record every episode of a current show until told otherwise? The profiles and voice search are both genuine, practical improvements and the interface is definitely a slicker, more modern and welcome change. For me the only real negatives are getting used to the way it forwards and rewinds and most of all the subtle but inferior HD and UHD picture quality. So while it's not the answer to all the world's major problems, neither is it the devil in disguise.

WoahWoahUser
Dialled in
Message 6 of 50
Flag for a moderator

What do most people do beyond simply telling the box to record every episode of a current show until told otherwise?

The new boxes don’t record past the current season and you can’t set wishlists, which record things from keywords, actors and so on. Also you can’t set it to record to a certain channel so if there’s multiple channels showing the same show, so with TiVo you can set it to only one channel. I do admit the majority of people don’t use this feature, but I definitely do use them. 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I’m sorry but you’re wrong.

In common with the TiVo Series Link, the TV 360 Record Series can record past the current season:

A5B541E2-0BCC-4B32-9B62-BF683B8C8B29.jpeg

0 Kudos
joebloggs
Dialled in
Message 8 of 50
Flag for a moderator

The series link thing that you are "confused" about is very important, I only want to record NEW episodes, not set a series link from series XX or whatnot, and the lack of "NEW" in the metadata makes finding new series and recording such a right pain in the ass.

I lasted 3 days on Horizon before wanting to pull my hair out at how basic the service was and canceled my entire Virgin Media contract because of it.

If I was offered a opportunity to go back to TiVo I would take it up in a heartbeat! Miss my Wishlists, Fast Play etc

I also hate that pressing the Fast Forward button too many times cycles though the speeds rather than stay on the fastest, I sometimes press it like 4 times to make sure it was on the fastest speed and wouldn't want it to go slower.

WoahWoahUser
Dialled in
Message 9 of 50
Flag for a moderator

There’s no new tag either?! And you can’t see when the show has aired easily, something I do not want to loose. I’ve heard there’s no Netflix integration in the search feature which is very annoying. The new interface isn’t that much of an improvement it looks like kodi from 5 years ago, but just red instead of blue. No MyShows/Recordings button either. I could go on about the faults of Horizon for quite a while just from reading through various forums. Some people don’t mind losing these features for a sort of better interface, but I’d rather deal with the clukyness of TiVo. 

0 Kudos
NinjaMeerkat
Superfast
Message 10 of 50
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

I’m sorry but you’re wrong.

In common with the TiVo Series Link, the TV 360 Record Series can record past the current season:

A5B541E2-0BCC-4B32-9B62-BF683B8C8B29.jpeg

So looking at the options it will record all episodes from series 7 on any channel and in SD and HD including repeats? If that's so then its not as good as the V6 series link where only new episodes will be recorded on a specific channel or channels and in HD only.