Menu
Hero
Message 11 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: What if I Currently Have Two V6 TIVO Boxes?

VM is indeed touting the TV 360 as the best it has produced. Have a look at the press release.

"Updated TV platform"

"Virgin TV 360 is designed with the ultimate user experience in mind"

"Virgin TV 360 is our most impressive TV service to date"

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hardly surprising.  They aren't going to put out press releases reflecting the deficiencies of the 360 vs the TiVo powered equipment are they!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Problem sorter
Message 13 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Dumb move, why not charge a bit more upfront (like the activation fee) if a customer want 2 boxes both with local storage, a 2TB mech HDD is a joke today and cost a few like £45-55 to end user not price VM get them for), could go much larger min of 6TB.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 52
Flag for a moderator

thats the point though. the boxes have to be made cheap.
If a contract is 18 months and out of that subscription £10/month does towards to hardware then the hardware has to cost under £180 .

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 52
Flag for a moderator

It seems crazy to offer only 1TB storage when your main rival (SkyQ) is offering a 4K box with TWICE that capacity.

It also goes down the road of assuming that catch-up services make the storage unnecessary. We don't all want to stream, & invariably when you do miss something it is never available from catch-up, so why trust it anyway.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Up to speed
Message 16 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
thats the point though. the boxes have to be made cheap.
If a contract is 18 months and out of that subscription £10/month does towards to hardware then the hardware has to cost under £180 .

Externally, the box doesn't look very different from the V6, and if, as I've seen suggested here and on other forums, the 360 software can be installed on V6 hardware, the innards can't be that different either. That's pretty sensible on Virgin's part but it probably means the hardware cost is quite low.

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 17 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Again a 2TB HDD will not cost VM the same price it cost us to buy, the 1TB in the original TIVO at launch probably cost more than a 2+TB today.

Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 18 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I don’t think I’m giving anything away now as it’s been announced but, pending successful trials, from next year any existing customers with 2 x V6 boxes will be able to upgrade them to 360 over the air and keep the entire 2TB storage across both boxes. 

Some ultimate oomph customers are being contacted very soon to join the trials. We would like to contact all of them but far too many people are opting out of marketing these days. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 19 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@BlueLou 

That is indeed good news. A lot of the reserve about the product is around a lack of space if you could only have one box with a hard disk.

PS You wouldn’t happen to know if recordings can be preserved during an over the air migration to Horizon?

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 20 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest, how does 360 platform perform on a V6 box compared to the new boxes? Is there any noticeable difference in speed, responsiveness etc?

0 Kudos