Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 42
Flag for a moderator

What if I Currently Have Two V6 TIVO Boxes?

Hi,

I am a current Oomph subscriber so am expecting to be upgraded to a 360 before the end of the year. I know the new 360 box comes with a Mini box as standard for multiroom support, just without the extra recording capacity.  However, I currently already have multiroom by way of two V6 boxes and want to keep the extra recording capacity.  In this case will I get two 360 boxes capable of recording or will I be forced to take a one 360 and a Mini box?  Ii I am forced to take a Mini box will my monthly subscription be reduced as I currently pay extra for multiroom.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Re: What if I Currently Have Two V6 TIVO Boxes?

Hello

The v360 multi room is a single v360 and a mini v360, until it is fully released to the general population there has been no notification on the pricing for the multi room setup.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 42
Flag for a moderator

V360 Horizon is a "central box" setup the same as SkyQ. There is only a single 1TB hard disk in the installation. You lose the existing boxes & their recordings. The mini boxes do still contain a cable tuner so are effectively Multiroom boxes as regards subscriptions.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I do wonder why Virgin have made the decision to only include 1TB of storage (OK, so I know its probably a cost saving for them) but in the days of 4K and a single box setup it does seem somewhat short sighted unless they think cloud storage may be the way forward.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Not sure why I’d want to upgrade then if I’m going to end up with less storage capacity in total and less possible parallel recordings, all for the same price. In fact it doesn’t sound like much of an ‘upgrade’ at all!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@smartn wrote:

I do wonder why Virgin have made the decision to only include 1TB of storage (OK, so I know its probably a cost saving for them) but in the days of 4K and a single box setup it does seem somewhat short sighted unless they think cloud storage may be the way forward.

The decision has come from Virgin's parent company, who want to standardise the equipment & firmware platforms used across their global operations. Other countries are now using cloud storage for Horizon recordings, but the broadcasters here will not accept this at the present time. SkyQ was also due to be released with cloud storage, but this also had to be dropped.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I can fully understand the approach but that doesn't alter the fact that in the UK they will be taking away capacity from customers that we have signed up for in our existing contracts. Surely a 2TB option with all the same hardware and firmware would not be difficult.... 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 42
Flag for a moderator

it depends on how they change the boxes under contract.
If they wait until the end of everyones minimum term they can change them as the 30 day rolling contract takes effect every month.

So if they wait until people contracts end and make the upgrade it wouldn't fall under the contract.

Also the contract allows for chamces to me made. It would however fall under the clause to cancel for a major change

Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 42
Flag for a moderator

There should indeed be no problem in producing a box with a 2TB hard drive. I suspect that LG/VM want to know to what extent people with mini boxes complain that their 1TB box is too small. It's possible that the demand for 2TB boxes is smaller than you might think, bearing in mind that the switch from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 has effectively increased the capacity of existing boxes.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 42
Flag for a moderator

@pmymmw wrote:

Not sure why I’d want to upgrade then if I’m going to end up with less storage capacity in total and less possible parallel recordings, all for the same price. In fact it doesn’t sound like much of an ‘upgrade’ at all!

I think you are going wrong in thinking of a change to TV360 as being an upgrade.

It is a different system that as others have pointed out is being pushed by Liberty Global, presumably as a cost saving measure.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that it is an 'upgrade' to the V6/TiVo system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more