cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV 360 - Have I dodged a bullet?

tafer2uk
Tuning in

I got an email offering a free software upgrade for my two V6 boxes where I would get a new remote for each. I received the email just before a holiday so didn't do anything about it. The link in the email has expired now and so I was searching the web to see if the offer was still available when I came across posts in this forum. It would seem that some of the feedback from others making the switch is generally negative. What are the main pros and cons for making the switch? I appreciate from some of the comments Virgin are wanting to ditch Tivo and I may have no say in the matter moving forward. What are people's general thoughts? Should I wait until I'm forced to switch? TIA.

8 REPLIES 8

mda99das
Up to speed

Are the V6 and 360 mini boxes identical?

tafer2uk
Tuning in

I don't have a 360 box? I have two V6 boxes which I understand will be reprogrammed with the 360 software I believe.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo-firmware (which drives TiVo & V6) and TV360 are very different, much the same way as Android is very different to Apple. There's plenty of past threads on the comparison - one headline is that V6 is very recording-driven, TV360 is very app & VoD driven.

V6 boxes can be software-converted into TV360-masters and will retain their hard drives. Any additional multiroom installs, or fault replacements, will have TV360-mini boxes that don't have HDD and rely on the master for recording.

At some point, there may well be a compulsory migration. But for now, converting is totally voluntary.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tafer2uk
Tuning in

Are there any specific features that the 360 software has that the Tivo doesn't and vice versa? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

360 has voice control, and some additional apps: Disney+ & Paramount+

Features that the TV360 lacks compared with TiVo/V6 are quite extensive but two obvious headlines are multi-channel series-links and the ability to set recordings of programmes not in the current EPG

Plenty of past threads discuss this, the forum search function should find them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The features on the V6\TiVo that are missing from the 360 are; wishlists (where you can auto-record programmes on specific subjects or with specific actors etc.), undelete, series link+, series link manager, specific channels for radio stations allowing them to be recorded, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between 6 tuners with constant 1hr buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten. 

The additional features on the 360 are voice control and profiles (which allow targeted advertising and an individual favourites list). Also the Paramount+ app is only on the 360.

Basically, the V6 is the most feature-rich PVR you can get in the UK and has a number of recording features that just aren't available on any other system (many of them are TiVo patents) the 360 is a pretty basic recorder like SkyQ or a freeview PVR.

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

From what I have read there is nothing in favour of 360 over Tivo V6. Voice control I wont use, profiles I don't need and Paramount+ is available already on my multiple smart devices. 

tafer2uk
Tuning in

Thank you for all the replies. I'll stick to what I've got until they force me to change or leave whichever comes first.