Menu
cso025
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV 360 Box keeps loosing internet connection

Virgin TV 360 Box and Mini Hub were installed by engineer on 05/02/2021; both boxes were connected via Wi-Fi and showed a 'High' speed connection suitable for streaming Ultra HD. Since the installation the main 360 Box occasionally shows error 'CS3400 Content unavailable' or 'CS9994 Your hub isn't connected to the internet'. When this happens I check the internet connection in Settings>Diagnostics and it usually shows a 'Slow' speed and advises connecting via an Ethernet cable. If I reboot the 360 Box or reconnect to the Hub using the WPS button the speed immediately returns to 'High' and I have no problem until an error message re-appears which can be a couple of hours later or another day. When the 360 Box is working okay the internet speed always shows as 'High',  the problem seems to be the 360 Box intermittently causing a drop in the internet connection speed. Never had a problem with by old V6 box loosing its internet connection unless there was a problem with the internet itself. Is anyone else having a similar problem?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin TV 360 Box keeps loosing internet connection

First thing I would do is go into the hub settings & split up the 2 WiFi bands the hub uses.

In the default setting the Hub uses the same network name & password for both the faster but weaker 5Ghz band WiFi & the slower, stronger & more congested 2.4Ghz band. My thoughts are that your box is swapping between the two bands & is favouring the stronger but far more congested WiFi band.

If you give the bands different names (you can use the same password) you can then force the 360 box to use only the band that works best.

Type 192.168.0.1 into your Browser. Use the ADMIN password to log into your hub. If this is the first time you have logged in you will have to change this password before moving on. In the Advanced Settings, select "Security" & change the network name of one of the bands (say from VM******* to VM*******-5G for the 5G band). At the bottom of the page save the settings. You will then have forced all your WiFi equipment onto the band using the name you have not changed. You just then set up the equipment you want on the other band by attaching them to the network with your new name.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If possible always connect your TV box to the hub with an Ethernet cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
cso025
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your assistance and advice; I have done as you suggested and re-named the 5Ghz band on my Hub from VM******* to VM*******-5G. I have connected both my Virgin TV 360 Box and Mini Hub to the 5Ghz band and everything else in my home is now on the 2.4Ghz band. Would it be better to have both of my boxes on the 2.4Ghz band as welI? I am now keeping my fingers crossed and will update this post accordingly hopefully to confirm that everything is working satisfactorily.

0 Kudos
cso025
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice; unfortunately my Hub is in a different room to my Virgin TV 360 Box and Mini Hub. I do have Powerline Adaptors but to the best of my knowledge they have to be plugged into mains wall sockets and not into 4 or 6 gang sockets which I have to use.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@cso025 wrote:

Thank you for your assistance and advice; I have done as you suggested and re-named the 5Ghz band on my Hub from VM******* to VM*******-5G. I have connected both my Virgin TV 360 Box and Mini Hub to the 5Ghz band and everything else in my home is now on the 2.4Ghz band. Would it be better to have both of my boxes on the 2.4Ghz band as welI? I am now keeping my fingers crossed and will update this post accordingly hopefully to confirm that everything is working satisfactorily.

2.4 is the worst band to use for VM TV boxes. In built up areas you will struggle to get 20Mb download speeds, which the box will see as slow connections.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cso025
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to let you know that since doing as you suggested I have had no further problems with my Virgin TV 360 Box or Mini Hub loosing their connection to the internet. Once again thank you for your assistance.
0 Kudos