Virgin Media UK Preps Next Gen TV 360 Service for Launch

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media UK Preps Next Gen TV 360 Service for Launch

As I see it, neither Virgin Media UK or Eire have said anything about the IP, non-cable box.

Virgin Media Eire have announced both the Horizon box and the cable-connected mini box.

I expect Virgin Media UK to do the same.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Makes no difference to me (does my mother) I will never had a TV service or pay the Jimmy Savile tax again. 😀

Just thought it would be interesting to some esp as the original TIVO's poor performance and the night and day difference with the newer TIVO V6's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

If it is similar to the Irish offering, I like the idea of profiles, but as for the rest of it,  it gets a decided meh from me 😞

And I don't like the look of that remote 🙂🙂

Edit: But then, I don't  use catch up or any of the apps on the V6 (Fire tv devices do a better job) so I guess I'm hardly the target market anyway  😁

Oomph Hub3 (modem mode) RT-AC68U with Merlin F/W.

My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The IP mini box is being released by LG to UPC customers in Poland. It does not relate to any of the kit being used by VM in the UK or Ireland. 

https://advanced-television.com/2020/08/24/liberty-unveils-green-stb/ 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

That's the same deivce I was reading about on a web site refererencing VM eire. It reported exactly the same info as the Polish LG site I So same things I said as my personal opinion still still apply. Until I see one in use anyway 🙂

https://www.upc.pl/telewizja/poznaj/poznaj-nasza-telewizje/dekoder-4k/?intcmp=hp-hero3-4k 

The article you linked to is interesting,  but it bangs on too much about the low power consumption. Edit : I take that back That thing is going to run like cold treacle It is about the same as a 4k Firestick 🙄

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Being a bit more realistic, I realise people like shiny new toys, and that most on VM likely do use the apps and things on the V6 

But other than the profiles feature there dosen't seem to be any USPs over the V6 that benefit me, unless I'm missing something obvious?

Lack of need of a coax cable for the mini will be a flong awaited feature by some though, Im sure.

And I still hate the look of that remote 😇

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Both main V360 boxes & the MRV multiroom (half size) ones require a coax connection to the network. The main box hosts the recordings for both & not the cloud like in other countries. This is more an alignment to SkyQ, but has advantages & disadvantages.

With SkyQ you are dependant on the main box tuners for the mini boxes, & can only use 2 minis at any one time. With VMs setup you can run as many MRVs as you like, as they have their own tuners & don't tie up tuners on the main V360. The disadvantage is you are stuck with 6 tuners & 1TB capacity on the main VM box, whereas the SkyQ 4K box is 2TB & 12 tuners.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

But the article you linked to (and the Polish page) says the mini does not need an additional  coax connection. and is;,to quote " It is the company’s first all-IP device, meaning that all it needs to run is a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection"  So who is right?

The installation instruction on the Polish page also only say to connect it to the hub with an ethernet cable or wifi.

Did I mention that remote is ugly as 🤣 🤣

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Sounds intriguing and I do like new shiny boxes from VM both in terms of hubs and STBs. However, as I already have multi room viewing with 2 V6 boxes I cant see what benefit Tv360 will give me. This is the first time I dont see any advantage in changing my boxes.

Can anyone offer an explanation why I should be excited by these new boxes over my current V6s.

Currently have Gig1 unlimited oomph package

Tags (3)
0 Kudos