Menu
cb862
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin 360 upgrade - can’t seem to process order

Hi all,

Looking for some help regarding trying to upgrade to the 360 boxes from V6. Seem to be encountering an issue with the ordering process. 

I upgraded my package to Ultimate Oomph in late November, with an installation date of 12th December. I was aware at the point of ordering that I would receive V6 boxes, with a free upgrade to the 360 when launched. Installation happened smoothly last weekend. Replaced an old TiVo box with a v6 downstairs and a new box routed and installed upstairs. Both work absolutely fine! 

On Sunday 13th, I found the 360 upgrade page on the Virgin website. Easy to complete, selecting the free self-install for delivery yesterday. Received a confirmation email and all was good.

On Monday 13th, I received a rather vague email stating there was some additional information required regarding my order and was asked to give them a call to discuss. I did this and was told I had to pay an activation charge of £35. As the website clearly stated it was free (as well as the confirmation email), I refused and was told the order was cancelled.

After consideration, I decided yesterday that I would go against my initial decision and pay the £35. I went on web chat and went through the process for self-install and agreeing to pay the £35. Confirmed a date for the kit to arrive, then the agent told me there was an issue placing the order and I would need an engineer to visit at a further cost of £30 (so £65 total). I queried why this is and was told there was an issue with my property which meant self-install wasn’t possible. I stated I couldn’t afford £65 this side of Christmas and asked if there was any room for negotiation. He stated no, but suggested I order online as it will all be free on there and stated this could have been the reason the original order didn’t go through.

I visited the upgrade page again and selected an engineer visit. Everything went fine, I was able to select two potential dates and both the activation me engineer fees were shown as waived and therefore free. Received an email confirmation, but once again it isn’t tracking on orders. I haven’t yet received an email to phone virgin about my order before, but expect it’s coming.

I seem to be going round in a very frustrating circle. What I don’t understand is, I only had the oomph package installed less than a week ago. I’m not sure I entirely believe the issue is the self-install voiding because an issue at my property. Shouldn’t it be a case of unplugging the v6’s and replacing with the 360’s?

Webchat and phone seem to be reluctant to help and want to charge. Even agreeing to the activation fee, it still wouldn’t work and I can’t afford to pay an engineer fee on top as stated above.

I’ve sent a message to complaints, but understand they can take a while to respond. I was hoping someone may have some insight through experiencing a similar issue or someone from Virgin can assist? Thank you.

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 360 upgrade - can’t seem to process order

In theory it is just unplugging and re-plugging new boxes in and maybe a call to customer services to activate the new boxes. I don't believe an engineer is required and I am sure people have has self install with the boxes previously. But this might of changed now

roy247
Well-informed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you have V6 boxes I can't see any reason why you need an engineer, I did mine myself but I am an ex field service engineer but it's so easy even my wife could have done it.

cb862
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both! This was my thought.

It’s like banging my head against a brick wall! I’m happy to pay the £35 activation fee IF it means I can get the upgrade, despite the website upgrade page stating clearly it’s free... but can’t even do that! If needing an engineer visit was the issue, it should have processed the 2nd attempt on the online form where I’ve requested an engineer.

0 Kudos
Acesorb
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have the same issue. I’m on Ultimate Oomph, on Monday followed link online to upgrade to 360 for Ultimate Oomph Customers. All went through fine, no charge, self install, delivery picked for today all confirmed via email. Then on Wednesday had the same vague email to call them as something was missing. Called but they didn’t know why i was asked to call, something to do with my mobile sim being wrong. (Had it for over a year so a bit random). Didn’t get a tracking from Yodel this morning as advised and nothing showed up today. Called this afternoon on phone for over 1 hour. They said it was cancelled (nice of them to let me know!) and didn’t process because I have a mobile sim on my account.... that’s included on the ultimate oomph, following ultimate oomph upgrade path to 360, very strange!!!

Got put through to some dedicated team who have now arranged for this but had to pay £35 activation and have an engineer early jan. No self install option available because I have 2 v6 boxes... I just have the standard ultimate oomph which includes mobile sim and 2x v6 boxes so not sure why it’s so difficult to do this!

cb862
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry you’ve had a very similar issue, but glad it’s resolved for you! Do you know the name of the department you were put through to?

Yes same when I phoned. They didn’t know why I needed to ring, but as soon as I mentioned the 360 upgrade they mentioned the £35 activation fee and said it would be cancelled if I didn’t pay.

Funnily enough, we’ve just upgraded to oomph and agreed to migrate over to the unlimited 4g plan from my previous plan with virgin media. There could be some similar issue there. I’ve always had a separate plan for my mobile.

Did you have to pay an engineer fee on top of the activation?

0 Kudos
Acesorb
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hiya

Not sure, they just said it was the dedicated team, the guy sounded Scottish.

Didn't mention any additional charge for Engineer so just the £35 Activation as far as I'm aware.

He said to call back if not heard anything by the 2nd, which doesn't give me much hope for an Engineer actually arriving 🙂 We'll see.

cb862
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That’s good, fingers crossed for you! I’ll give them a call tomorrow.

I’m guessing they have a dedicated 360 team.

0 Kudos
roy247
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When I upgraded to ultimate oomph I already had a Virgin SIM and was told I couldn't swap existing number to oomph without setting up an account with someone else moving number to their network and then transferring back, got transferred to someone else who moved the oomph allowance to my existing SIM. The problem is that when you move to oomph it generates a new SIM or it did, I don't if this has changed. Maybe if this is the case it has caused a conflict on your account details. I get 2 mobile statements every month 1 for my original SIM and the other for the SIM I haven't used.