Menu
SprintST
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin 360 second connection

I am just about to upgrade to Virgin 360 when I spoke to Virgin I was clear that I wanted to connect two tv's at opposite ends of my house and that the second connection would be via the network only as I only have a cable termination in one room... It seems from reading information in the community forum that Virgin 360 needs both a cable and a network connection for each box connected is this correct?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
mwarby
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin 360 second connection

yes it needs the coax for live tv, the network is only used for catchup. I believe virgin would install a second coax for you as part of the upgrade (although whether they can run the cable as hidden as you'd like is another issue)

0 Kudos
SprintST
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, basically the upgrade is about as useful as a  chocolate fireguard for me, as I would need something like 50m of coax running around the outside of my house to connect a second box. I wish Virgin would train their staff so that they properly understand the product, they should have told me that I would be unable to view live TV in a second room without a coax connection, hey ho lets see if I can cancel the upgrade before my V6 box gets automatically upgraded.

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@SprintST wrote:

Thank you, basically the upgrade is about as useful as a  chocolate fireguard for me, as I would need something like 50m of coax running around the outside of my house to connect a second box.

If that's what's required, then that's what the Virgin engineer will do for you 😀

0 Kudos
SprintST
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, sadly they didn't book an engineer just sent me two new remotes and told me it was self install....☹️

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@SprintST wrote:

Hi, sadly they didn't book an engineer just sent me two new remotes and told me it was self install....☹️

Phone ‘em up and point out why that doesn’t work for you... 🙂

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@SprintST wrote:

I am just about to upgrade to Virgin 360

When you say "upgrade", upgrade from what? Are you an existing TV customer?

I'm only getting at, if you have existing TV boxes then a migration to V360 is just a software drop from a V6 but a box-swap from TiVo.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
SprintST
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi just did, V6 Box is currently bricked, reporting 'starting up', was on a call when I got cut off at 10pm when apparently they knock off whether in the middle of a call or not... 

0 Kudos
SprintST
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have two V6 boxes, one connected and one still in its box with no psu.. but that's another story. Went out came back and now both V6 boxes are bricked sat at 'starting up'... called Virgin and got cut off at 10pm with no working TV service. Really angry and when my contract expires I will not be renewing TV at this rate and move to Sky Q, which does allow slave boxes to connect via a network connection only. 

SprintST
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Finally through to a UK call centre and have the upgrade to Virgin 360 cancelled, my second V6 box eventually recovered and now operates normally although I have lost all my series links and recorded programs. Will keep an eye out for when Virgin finally has slave boxes that only require a network connection and not co-ax and network.... Back to my second TV connected by a HDMI Splitter and a HDMI to IP converter using a network cable under the floor (and yes I should have laid co-ax alongside the cat 6 cable when I had the floor up!).

0 Kudos