cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 360 remote

Philsmason
Joining in

My new Virgin 360 remote only manages to switch on the box after pressing the power button 3 or 4 times. What might be the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I didn't  have any written instructions really.  The virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 link provided by contributors to this forum is what got me started.  It tackles some things quite well but could do with an alphabetical index and more information.  Virgin (and Microsoft and Apple) think we are clairvoyant!!!  They invent features and give them names then leave you to find out what they do (Apple widgets!!! for instance)There are a couple of pictures of the remote in the leaflet that came in the remote packaging but even that doesn't name and identify the purpose of all the buttons on it.  This Forum has been really useful at direct help plus pointing me in the right direction to other information.  Teach a man to fish, don't just give them a fish!!!  So while doing what I was advised to do for my problem I saw some of the other features Virgin/Horizon have built in.  My next experiment is to try the High Contrast setting for text so that my wife can read the programme guide more easily.  But I see that it reboots the box so I will find out when I get there if I have to reset all the settings I have made to get to what we have now.

What I would say is that the voice control can get you to the desired settings menu more easily than by doing it manually.  The Virgin help text might be "go to the Home page and select settings" I was looking for a label called settings but its a gear cog pictogram at the far right of the selection bar.  Everything else on the Home screen is a word, but not settings!  I know now, but I didn't when I started!!

I hope you find all the settings you need to get yourself set up as you would like.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Philsmason,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're facing some issues with your 360 remote recently. Have you followed these tips yet to see if they help matters at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Zach
It’s working fine once it gets going and no problem with any other functions. It shuts down with one press of the power button too, as expected. It is just that starting, it does not respond to the first few presses. I’ve tried a long press to no effect and multiple quick presses with no result either. It can’t be battery level as everything else goes okay once managed to switch on. 
Phil

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Philsmason,

Thank you for coming back to us and for keeping us updated on your remote control issue.

I understand that the remote works perfectly fine once the TV box is on. Have you tried to reboot the TV box at the back using the small switch on the back of the box to see if this will improve the remote command?

If this does not work, we would recommend a battery change to ensure that this is not what's causing the problem.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina

I have now tried both of these and neither has made any difference. Still have the problem getting the box started. Do you have any further suggestions?

Phil

I'm new, so I am not as well informed as other subscribers, but while sorting out my own set up I see that there is a sort of eco start/standby setting which it says slows down start up.  Could it be this that makes you think that it needs three pushes on the button.  If you press it once and wait, does it start up?  If so, you can go into the menu and select a faster start option.

I'm guessing really!

Roseyhue

You’re a star! It does indeed start up if I wait about 4-5 secs after the initial press. Very counter-intuitive (I was not given any manual or instructions like you appear to have when it was installed.). Thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply. Really appreciate it.

Phil 

Hi, I didn't  have any written instructions really.  The virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 link provided by contributors to this forum is what got me started.  It tackles some things quite well but could do with an alphabetical index and more information.  Virgin (and Microsoft and Apple) think we are clairvoyant!!!  They invent features and give them names then leave you to find out what they do (Apple widgets!!! for instance)There are a couple of pictures of the remote in the leaflet that came in the remote packaging but even that doesn't name and identify the purpose of all the buttons on it.  This Forum has been really useful at direct help plus pointing me in the right direction to other information.  Teach a man to fish, don't just give them a fish!!!  So while doing what I was advised to do for my problem I saw some of the other features Virgin/Horizon have built in.  My next experiment is to try the High Contrast setting for text so that my wife can read the programme guide more easily.  But I see that it reboots the box so I will find out when I get there if I have to reset all the settings I have made to get to what we have now.

What I would say is that the voice control can get you to the desired settings menu more easily than by doing it manually.  The Virgin help text might be "go to the Home page and select settings" I was looking for a label called settings but its a gear cog pictogram at the far right of the selection bar.  Everything else on the Home screen is a word, but not settings!  I know now, but I didn't when I started!!

I hope you find all the settings you need to get yourself set up as you would like.