cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 360 installation fail

Barnet1955
Tuning in

Tried to install 360 today and error code comes up 'installation failed, try later.' 

Also an error code MA1/3/50.

I've phoned FIVE different people and the first one told me it wasn't even a valid error code. The others claimed they'd phone back and never have and most of them don't seem to know what they're doing.

Is the box faulty and should I be able to get a new one?

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this a completely brand install, where you previously had no VM services?

Or is this a conversion from TiVo/V6? If it's a conversion, are you software-converting a V6 or hardware-swapping a TiVo? Or another combination of multiroom?

There's pictures of the boxes https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box if you're not sure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's a conversion from a V6 box.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In that case, it sounds quite likely that there is now a mismatch between your STB & account. One of them is trying to run 360-software, the other is expecting TiVo-software.. and the two don't mix.

If the box is giving MA-type codes, I'd wager it's on 360 & the account is the problem.. but which software is the box trying to run? Is it displaying TiVo, or have you completed the software update?

All of this might help ID where the conversion has gone wrong - it won't help resolve it, that will need VM to intervene. The quickest way will be to persist with calling in, and hopefully speak to someone else who's able to do the necessaries. If you continue to struggle, then the forum staff maybe able to get involved - but that's not going to be real-time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

What is an 'STB'?
This isn't TiVo it's a V6 box.

I got on to someone who seemed to actually know what they were about. He told me to reset the box by switching off, then pressing the minus button and the standby together. I did that and it seemed to download the software as an icon popped up, but kept switching between the 'Welcome' screen and my TV's source screen. Eventually it got back to the Virgin Home screen where I tried to download 360. 

No go. 'Upgrade failed' AGAIN.

The IT guy phoned back, and like me he thought the software in the box had been corrupted and wouldn't accept the download.
New box on the way hopefully.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Barnet1955 wrote:

What is an 'STB'?
This isn't TiVo it's a V6 box.

STB = Set Top Box

V6 & TiVo boxes both run TiVo software.

Sounds like the old "callback and get someone else" adage has worked for you. So often it shouldn't be the case, but is.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Barnet1955, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your posts. 

I am sorry to hear you have experienced some issues with the setup of your new equipment, I appreciate this must be quite frustrating. 

I am happy to hear our technical team are arranging some new equipment for you and I just wanted to let you know we are here to assist when this arrives. If you have any issues, please do update the thread and we will do all we can to help. 

Thank you 

Nat