Menu
heady2008
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin 360 box starts to play a saved program when I resume live TV after pausing

We've noticed a few times that when we resume playing live TV after a pause, a message is displayed in the top right hand corner of the TV screen stating that a saved recording will start to play in so many seconds. The only way to stop this is to select cancel. If we don't stop it in time then hitting "TV" button on remote takes us back to live TV.

On the subject of saved recordings, it's also very annoying that when you've part viewed a recording and go to play the remaining, it doesn't always give you the option of resuming. It will only let you play from the start meaning you have to fast forward and hope to find where you need to be

0 Kudos
roy247
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin 360 box starts to play a saved program when I resume live TV after pausing

Hi Heady,

I have had this problem and for me it only seems to happen if I watch one or more episodes from a series recording, the 360 seems to queue up the next episode and gives you the option to watch or dismiss, sometimes before the episode has finished. This must depend how close the episode has got to the +5 minutes of the scheduled end time. It would happen to me even the morning after if I rewound live TV because I missed something and then fast forward to catch up it would then jump to my saved recordings.

One way to stop it was after watching an episode in a series was to start playing something that wasn't in a series I always used a film, stop that and then back out of recordings to TV.

Since I have had to restart the box it hasn't done it, so maybe that is something you could try.

When watching a saved recording you need to press back to stop, then back again to get you to your recordings list, next time you watch you will have the resume option. Pressing back once or TV doesn't give you the option to resume.

0 Kudos
heady2008
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 360 box starts to play a saved program when I resume live TV after pausing

Thanks for the reply.

It does seem rather presumptuos that the 360 box thinks you want to watch a saved recording when you are perfectly happy watching live TV.

It's even worse that the default setting is to start that recording rather than just suggest that there's one available to view if you want. If I was a football fan watching an important moment in a live game I'd be a bit annoyed if it switched over automatically to the wife's latest saved episode of East Enders!

I really don't know what the programers were thinking.

On the other subject we've tried the return button twice suggestion but it still only gives the option to start a saved program from the beginning. The odd thing is that some saved content will let you start from either the start or where you left off. I'll try the re-set option

I think it's pretty remiss of Virgin to fail to provide any form of detailed instructions with the box unless you are aware on an online manual which they haven't bothered to tell me about

I did come across this post that works" I've had a message to resume play, but only when I use voice control to "stop play". Not if I pause or return."

0 Kudos
roy247
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heady,

I was watching just watching the football on recordings pressed back all the way back to live TV, then pressed home etc to get back to the football, pressed watch and it gave me the option to continue. What I have noticed is, if you go back to a recording and it says watched you do have to watch it from the start, I don't know how close to the end of the recording you have got to get before this happens, it also happens near the start as well, doesn't say watched but plays from the start. It maybe something to do with the scheduled program start and start times and the recording time before and after. When you press the fast forward button you will see markers on the red line where the program has started and stopped.

No detailed manual online that I know of yet. Apparently you are supposed to get a user manual with the 360 box, I didn't get one or a few other people.

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you partially watch a program press OK after you have press play/pause and it remembers where you were up to 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Well-informed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi heady,

Just been checking my recordings and I can't get it not to give me a continue watching option. Maybe it was fixed in 4.28 and the box needed a restart as I haven't seen the other problem since the restart.

0 Kudos
heady2008
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Pressing "Pause" then "OK" then into live TV and then back to the recording did give me the option of resuming the playback 🙂

Tomorrow I'll reset the box to see if that fixes the other anomalies.

I did get a very brief guide to the new 360 remote but that just skimmed the surface

Thanks for everyones responses

0 Kudos
pjw49
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had the problem of a recording not going to the point I had watched it to and I did a post but then when I tried it again it went to a ‘resume from’ message so not sure why. 

Another problem I have is if I pause a live program- you know someone calls so you hit pause to speak to them it only stays paused for a certain amount of time so if it’s a long call then suddenly the program starts up. Is there any way of changing the pause time?

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you cant change the timeI but  think it is set to one and a half hours , at least i think it was on TiVo software maybe its been changed anyone know ?

0 Kudos
roy247
Well-informed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is this on a mini box or main box, the mini is restricted due to the fact it has no hard drive. Pausing the program for long is not something I do a lot, I will give it a try tonight.

0 Kudos