Menu
gembas15
Joining in
Message 21 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 360 box looses all saved recording when power cord is pulled

Hi Carley

Thanks for getting back - yes we have to put our login details back in (e.g. to iplayer/netflix), I believe its linked to power cuts, but it also happened after we didn't use the box for a few weeks (we were away) so I don't know if this was linked to power cut or happened in standby.

I don't believe our box has ever functioned well - we had many issues having to spend lots of time on the phone/get engineers out at the start - they put in an old box and had to give it software to make it work properly - but as I say I believe it has never worked well (we never had any issues with the old TiVo box!).  I had an engineer booked to come only this weekend because it wasn't starting up for two days but then it mysteriously worked the following day!  I cancelled the engineer since it stated working but again we lost all our stored programs 😞

I found this thread whilst trying to understand if what we were experiencing is normal - and from what I see here its not!!

Just to confirm there is absolutely no chance we had reached capacity for storage - because we frequently lose any programs we store!!

I'm really unhappy with this situation - as I said the box is useless!!

Thanks

Gemma

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 22 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry for the inconvenience @gembas15.

I understand that this has not been ideal for you, unfortunately we are limited to what we can do for lost recordings etc.

But if the TV box stops working again please do let us know, then we can see what more we can do to help.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
gembas15
Joining in
Message 23 of 26
Flag for a moderator

What Virgin could do is replace a faulty box.  This isn't what I subscribed to when I took out my contract for TV with Virgin on the 360 box plan - all the current faulty box is supporting is to stream TV (sometimes) - and it is very easy to do this using alternative devices.  Very disappointing service from Virgin that it has such a low bar for its service

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 24 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi @gembas15 

You could liken the hard drive on a 360 to  a PC (even a PC with one of the newer SSD drives).

These can be affected by a power cut or a power surge, resulting in damage to the motherboard or hard drive, hence in the case of all set top boxes, be they TIVO, V6, 360, Sky +, Sky Glass etc, then recordings  may be lost. A bad power supply can also cause interruption/loss of power to the set top box (or PC) resulting in hard drive errors and lost recordings.

Lot's people now use surge protectors to avoid sudden losses of power.

I would expect a relacement 360 but would also ask the tech to replace the PSU as well (just in case).

Dave

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Love, love and love, forever - Pele

0 Kudos
gembas15
Joining in
Message 25 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes I understand this, but our box is on a surge protector and one does expect these boxes to cope with losing power without losing all data.  

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 26 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi gembas15,

A reboot would not cause the recordings to be lost, unless this was selected via the settings menu.

If you have any problems moving forward please let us know.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos