Menu
dmutha
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin 360 Ethernet Connections through an Ethernet Switch

I am having difficulty when connecting my two Virgin 360 boxes to my SH3 router. Prior to upgrading to 360 last year, I had two Tivo boxes that were hard-wired via CAT6 through a Linksys 24 port unmanaged Gigabit switch. I then had a single short (1m) CAT6 cable connecting to Port 1 on the Router. This worked fine, whilst this is a fairly busy switch (16 ports used), I could connect both boxes to the internet and was getting solid throughput.

When I changed to 360, the new boxes (over exactly the same infrastructure) will no longer connect to the internet when passed through the switch. At all. They do not detect an available connect to the internet. Wifi works normally, but I want the boxes hard wired as Wifi is a little flaky here and things like Netflix run into quality issues if not hard wired.

To resolve this I have had to put ethernet extensions onto each of cables that previously ran into the switch and instead terminate them directly on port 1 and port 2 of the router, at which point all is well again. 

Is there some change in the requirements of the 360 boxes that would make this the case? I am keen to re-route the boxes via my switch and am happy to replace the switch for a compatible one if that will help, but I'd like to understand why it doesn't currently work so as not to waste money on something unsuitable. 

Appreciate your help

Regards.

Darren

0 Kudos
lennyv
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 360 Ethernet Connections through an Ethernet Switch

AFAIK it should work. I use a Netgear switch, which in turn connects to a Google wifi hub, which is wired to the Virgin router. When my 360 arrived I just swapped out all the existing connections from my V6, and I'm about 99% certain that included using the same ethernet cable rather than rely on (and have to set up) a wireless connection. I can't be 100% because I have since gone back to the V6. The 360 was running V4.27 of its software at the time.

0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 360 Ethernet Connections through an Ethernet Switch

I have a similar set up (wired the house with ethernet points in most rooms!). I have the hub in modem mode with an Asus RT-AX88U router connected via one of its 1Gig ports to a 16 port Netgear unmanaged switch .  Cat 6 cable then runs from a patch panel to the rest of the house.  All three of my 360 boxes (one main and two minis) work fine and replaced three V6's in the same network (just disconnected the old boxes and plugged in the new ones).

0 Kudos