cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 to 360 on one box only?

prowl
Dialled in

Can I upgrade only one of my 2 boxes to 360?   I just want the remote really in the lounge - the V6 remote is the worst design ever.  So many buttons.  2 circles of buttons.  It's truly terrible.  But I know the V6 

Also can I still record on one box and play on the other like V6 does now?  Either V6>360 or vice Versa or even if I upgrade both to 360? 

5 REPLIES 5

1701-e
Superfast

360 is a totally different system from TiVo. Both boxes would have to be upgraded but you can record on one box and watch on the other via 360 as you can on TiVo 

Tavis75
Super solver

Also, bear in mind it is a change of software, not an upgrade, you lose a lot more features than you gain, so it is probably worth looking into the differences before changing, as it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get the system switched back.

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

If it is just the (award-winning) remote you don't like, then you could just pick up a universal remote of some kind.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've used a One4All remote with my V6 for many years now.

You need to spend an hour or so with "learning mode" teaching it the TiVo-specific functions, but that's time we'll spent in the long run.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@prowl wrote:

Can I upgrade only one of my 2 boxes to 360?   I just want the remote really in the lounge - the V6 remote is the worst design ever.  So many buttons.  2 circles of buttons.  It's truly terrible.  But I know the V6 

Also can I still record on one box and play on the other like V6 does now?  Either V6>360 or vice Versa or even if I upgrade both to 360? 

Going from V6 TiVO to V360 Horizon is a migration to a new TV platform, not an upgrade. VMs systems will force both boxes to download the new firmware if you don’t do it yourself within a specified time.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the very informative post! And yes that’s a lot of missing features!  So I probably won’t “downgrade” 

You mentioned the v6 remote was award winning?  It’s insane!? Dual rings. Too many buttons and never knowing which way is up!  
I used Harmony and loved it but that’s dead in the water now and devices are failing with no updates.   I am also limited as the v6 box lives on a media cabinet in a different room, so IR won’t work.