cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 to 360 - is it generally worth upgrading?

khaotangs
Joining in

What’s the general opinion on 360? I’ve basically ignored it so far but got an email through offering a free upgrade so tempted to give it a whirl.

I’ve read about the factory wipe to install the new OS, which I can live with, but are their any downsides that I need to consider?

4 REPLIES 4

1701-e
Superfast

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most importantly, this is not an upgrade - any more than "upgrading" from Android to iOS or vice-versa.

It is a complete change of TV operating system. Your question is very "open" and borderline impossible to answer without knowledge of how you use your V6 and what features you use.

As a headline view, TiVo-software (which drives TiVo & V6) is very recording-driven whereas Horizon-software (which drives TV360) is very online/VoD-focused. Anything beyond that - depends what you want your TV box to do.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Anyone getting Deja-vu?

This is word-for-word a carbon copy of a thread from back in April, which looked very spammy.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/V6-to-360-is-it-generally-worth-upgrading/td-p/53... 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tavis75
Super solver

There are many downsides, and very few upsides. The change to the 360 is due to VMs takeover by Liberty Global as the 360 software is developed in-house whereas the TiVo software on the V6 is licensed from TiVo. The 360 is missing many features that are present on the V6, many of which are TiVo patents so are unlikely to appear in the future.

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, default recording options, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.