cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 to 360 is it generally worth upgrading?

kabir14
Joining in

What’s the general opinion on 360? I’ve basically ignored it so far but got an email through offering a free upgrade so tempted to give it a whirl. I’ve read about the factory wipe to install the new OS, which I can live with, but are their any downsides that I need to consider?

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @kabir14 

Some people (myself included) really like it, others abhor it.  It's a completely different operating system  that lacks some of the Tivo patented functions, but adds some of it's own such as voice control.

The following thread shows some of the differences <<<< here >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

First off, forget the "upgrade" marketing term - it's a complete change of software, in much the same way as it would be "upgrading" from Apple to Android. It's a conversion

As a headline view, the TV360 does have voice control, a couple of different apps and better integration with the TV Go app. But it does lack many of the extra recording options that V6 has.

As mentioned - opinions vary, but treat a conversion to TV360 as just that - a conversion. Whether it is an upgrade or not, depends on your circumstances and usage. There are various older threads which will be picked up via the forum's search function.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

idlecat
Tuning in

I’ve had my upgrade for a couple of days now and on the whole am pleased with the outcome. It was easy enough to install, a fault was detected in my cabling and a techie arrived yesterday to put it right.Stupidly I wasn’t aware that all recordings would be wiped, this wasn’t mentioned …. I’m disappointed that there’s no Quick view now, I generally speed through the boring bits or just speed things up using it so hope that it will re-appear at some point.

I don’t like not having a button to go directly to recordings. Navigating to the top and across is clumsy … perhaps I haven’t found the button yet … maybe using voice control is the answer … good for skipping through adverts.

My 2 boxes are connecting properly now though I need to set up profiles to use the system properly.

so it’s a thumbs up from me.

There is no button to jump straight to recordings, so you're not just missing it.

Quickview is very unlikely to be coming as that's one of the many features that is patented by TiVo.

I don't believe profiles actually do much, just change which channels are displayed in favourites and possibly which shows appear in the continue watching section.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@idlecat wrote:

I don’t like not having a button to go directly to recordings. Navigating to the top and across is clumsy … perhaps I haven’t found the button yet … maybe using voice control is the answer … good for skipping through adverts.

To go to recordings from within the EPG or whilst watching live TV just press the MIC button and say "Recordings"

To skip forwards/backwards 15 minutes in recordings - press MIC and say "go forward 15 minutes" or "go back 15 minutes". You can also say "fast forward 10 minutes" or whatever amount of time you want. To avoid adverts on streamed & on demand say "skip forward three minutes" or "fast forward 3 minutes"

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

My Harmony remote doesn't have a Mic button (or a microphone, for that matter), so it's a bit annoying having useful features stuck behind the voice control system.