Menu
mgman78
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 Fan VERY Noisy after 360 Upgrade

Immediately following the 360 'upgrade' our V6 box is EXTREMELY noisy - the fan is constantly spinning and when watching TV it spins up and down, up and down, up and down......not the hard drive, certainly more akin to a cooling fan.

I have set the box to eco mode, however it's still so noisy and really noticeable even over moderate to high TV volume!

Before the 'upgrade' the box made next to zero noise.

Is the new 360 software placing a high demand on the hardware which means it's getting hot hence high fan spin? Or, is it our ageing V6 box not up to it? (over 4 years old).

From settings the hardware version is ARRIS-DCX960-MPA+

Any ideas / help please VM?

0 Kudos
mgman78
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Fan VERY Noisy after 360 Upgrade

No one else have this problem?

0 Kudos
roy247
Well-informed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you have checked that the vent underneath the box isn't blocked and are sure it's the fan I would suggest you phone Virgin and report a fault as it's not normal. I would also suggest you set the box back to fast or active start especially if you have 2 boxes. You can always try doing a factory reset before you call to see if that fixes it, it will be quicker than calling and I am sure it will be suggested by 1st line support when you do get through.

mgman78
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yes have checked vents and done a factory reset - still sounds like airwolf taking off. 

0 Kudos
mgman78
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In case anyone else gets this issue....

Called VM (40 minute call) - after trying to find some audio setting that didn’t exist on the menu, I was advised a replacement box needed.

Just about to hang up when informed there was an error with the order.  System apparently not allowing replacement 360 orders.

Then advised a technician will call within 4 hours, although it’s likely will need an engineer visit - in my opinion a waste of VM resources!

Will await the call....

0 Kudos
mgman78
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Right ho - last update from me...unless problem remains. 

Technician agreed no point sending an engineer - new replacement box will be delivered, hopefully that’ll sort it & we’re just unlucky our old-ish V6 box didn’t like the 360 software upgrade.