Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

V360 initial impressions

I've had the 360 box for 48 hours now and had the chance to play around a bit.

Hardware - outwardly identical to the TiVo V6.  Same connections. Seems it's a rebadged European Horizon box.  New remote which I'm still deciding on.

Software - brand new interface, same as the VM app.  Some good ideas, but clearly a work in progress.  Nice visuals, but some of the functionality of the TiVo interface is missing, which I liked.  Recordings seem to be handled differently (on Talking Pictures TV I always had to edit the series link to record "all" otherwise it ignored "repeats".  The 360 records regardless, including repeats. ) I see this is due to be addressed. 

I'd say voice control is deemed to be the way forward. A lot of functionality on the remote is missing ( a play button but no Stop or Skip). Still not sure about that.

No search and save as a wishlist.  

Ability to set up Profiles seems a nice touch, if different family members regularly  watch different channels.

Obviously there's a lot more to discover, but overall, so far, it's looking good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V360 initial impressions

Hello martinianpaul

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback your experience of the new 360 box

We can certainly pass on your feedback to the right team 

Can we also ask if you notice any more faults, bugs niggles etc 

Pop back on here and let us know 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Will do. So far, just the inability to specify record repeats / non repeats.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again martinianpaul

I have fed that back to the Team involved 

Itcan be added to the TO Do list 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It doesn't have a "wishlist" but you can add to a "watchlist" from the info page for each programme, movie, etc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Does the 360 box need the wifi on to record a programme ?

i used to turn off the Hub at night with the Tivo and it would record away,

the 360 failed to record a film and i think it's because i turned off the Hub...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the hub needs to be on. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'll add my observations as well.

Ok, only installed this morning so early days.

Postives

• Cleaner interface
  • Voice search and commands functions
  • Profiles

Negatives

• Inability to edit Series Link recordings to eliminate duplicated recordings
  • No radio stations show up in the Channel Guide. These can be found by manual or voice search but it's a backwards step. You can't store them under a profile because they are not on the list to select. So much for the 360 box being our goto box for all our entertainment needs. It was bad enough when track and artist info disappeared when an previous box was "improved" but this is far worse.
  • The BBC red button doesn't work despite the corporation announcing a partial reprieve for the service
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think the lack of control over series recordings is going to be a big shock for a lot of people coming from a V6 to the 360. The only adjustments you can make are to change to padding before and after, and to cancel the series recording altogether. On more than one occasion I've ended up with a series record on the wrong channel (either SD instead of HD, or recording a repeat on a different channel several days after the original broadcast).

One tip I have would be if you go to a series via the search results is always check which channel the 360 is telling you that this programme is on. It won't always be the one you want to record.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@heady2008 wrote:
  • The BBC red button doesn't work despite the corporation announcing a partial reprieve for the service

Most of the apps are still going for 'internet-based' versions of the BBC service:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/60e6c823-46da-47c8-85ce-634f4be28480

For people using the internet-based version of our red button service, we will be consolidating our internet-connected TVs apps, retiring the BBC News and BBC Sport connected TV apps before the end of the year as well as the lottery and weather pages on connected TVs. BBC iPlayer will become the home of much of the video content that is currently available on the BBC Sport and BBC News TV apps and the traditional text and data offer will remain accessible on the majority of internet-connected televisions via the ‘Text’ button on the remote control. 

So I read that as the iPlayer app normally, and Red Button on the BBC when there are events that need it. I don't think the menu you get on the TiVo and V6 under the red button is staying on any internet-based service.

None of the Virgin TV boxes are 'internet-connected televisions' so don't have the 'Text' option mentioned at the end. In fact neither the V6 remote or the 360 one has a Text button in the first place.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos