Menu
Wilfred1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading to virgin360tv

I just received my 2 remotes .A leaflet informs me that Virgin Media will upgrade my boxes automatically in 5 days, is this true because if there is a problem when I upgrade I could be without tv over Christmas? Also would I be better connecting my V6 boxes hard wired to my router or does VM use the coax into the box to upgrade?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading to virgin360tv

Usually there Is an app or a button you press on the top of the screen to start the process 

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think they must use the coax for all updates to the box. A Virgin engineer once told me the main box must be hard wired, up to that point I am pretty sure it wasn't without any problems, My 2nd box has always been WiFi.

Personally I wouldn't want to upgrade before Christmas going off the problems other people have had. My update came on new preinstalled software  Humax boxes, the Arris V6 boxes have problems with the Horizon software update, it may depend on how old they are from some comments today.

0 Kudos
Dazza124
Dialled in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hi roy247,

I was told today that I would have to pay £35 activation fee plus and engineer visit cost. 
Apparently the activation is because of a new box. I thought the box could be setup by quick start installation. 
I declined to upgrade until free activation as I’m already paying too price as on oomph package. 

Can I ask were you asked to pay an activation fee for your new box. 

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Dazza124 if you wait until your invited it comes at no cost
Dazza124
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi jb66,

Thanks for info. Is the invite for the new set top box or the upgrade to the current V6?

Also do you know if an engineer is required as stated by VM on live chat or it’s a self install?

0 Kudos
roy247
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dazza124,

I got an email invitation to upgrade to 360 which included a main box and mini box to replace the 2 V6 boxes I had, it came with no activation fee and self install option.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The invitation comes with two remote controls delivered and a over the air update to your arris box

0 Kudos
BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Dazza124 wrote:

hi roy247,

I was told today that I would have to pay £35 activation fee plus and engineer visit cost. 
Apparently the activation is because of a new box. I thought the box could be setup by quick start installation. 
I declined to upgrade until free activation as I’m already paying too price as on oomph package. 

Can I ask were you asked to pay an activation fee for your new box. 

There should be an activation fee but you shouldn’t have to pay for install, if it’s impossible for you to self install then manned is free! They are wrong. 

0 Kudos
Dazza124
Dialled in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi BlueLou,

Thanks for the information. 

I have been with VM since the early Telewest/Blueyonder days and I’m on the VIP bundle. I have tried to help others in the old version of the community forum and I’m a trialist with the new app. 
I have heard that the activation fee is also free but only from an email invitation so I will wait for mine. I assume eventually all VIP/Oomph customers will get the invite. 

My personal opinion is I have been loyal to VM for many years and they have had my custom so I don’t believe I should pay for a set-top box. 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos