cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to tv360 drawbacks

abelljms
Tuning in

What they don't tell you clearly is that you LOSE all recorded material when the box changes, and you even lose all your settings, and have to start again.

It wouldn't be hard to provide an upgrade option so that the old box temporarily dumps back to Virgin Cloud it's contents and settings, and then downloads it to the new machine.

But that means using software authors who care a toss about customers 

6 REPLIES 6

ozsat
Superstar

The uploading of content to the cloud is one the broadcasters do not allow. None of the tv providers in the UK are allowed to offer than option when swapping boxes.

@abelljms wrote:

What they don't tell you clearly is that you LOSE all recorded material when the box changes, and you even lose all your settings, and have to start again.

It wouldn't be hard to provide an upgrade option so that the old box temporarily dumps back to Virgin Cloud it's contents and settings, and then downloads it to the new machine.

But that means using software authors who care a toss about customers 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

And the virgin transfer settings function doesn't appear, despite the guide alleging its there.

PS. the answer  about transfer no system just shows that it's a collective cabal who have agreed the unaccpetable is fine.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

An upgrade from TiVo/V6 to TV360 is no more or less an upgrade, than "upgrading" from Apple to Android or vice-versa. In other words, it's a migration and complete change of operating system.

It's entirely possible that the Horizon file system is different to the TiVo/V6 one - in which case, transfer of data is impossible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I appreciate the reply, but the upgrade guide should not offer/say what is patently untrue. And indeed should warn you that if you go ahead you will lose all recorded material so you should watch anything wanted first.

It should also warn you it won't even transfer across your programme records set up, so you have to make a careful note (on a piece of paper) of all programmes set up so you can do it all again. - it's not rocket science to just tell the truth

@abelljms wrote:

It should also warn you it won't even transfer across your programme records set up, so you have to make a careful note (on a piece of paper) of all programmes set up so you can do it all again. - it's not rocket science to just tell the truth

That wouldn't help that much, as unlike the V6\TiVo, the 360 doesn't let you set up series links for programs that aren't currently in the TV Guide (so showing in the next week or two), so you'd have to hang on to the piece of paper for a year or two and hope you spot that new series of the programs are showing. 

but that's still better than losing the lot, and having no idea which programmes you were tracking.