cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 360 for Free ? (Email offer received).

deans6571
Wise owl

I’ve just received an offer from VM via email to upgrade to the 360 software for free?! 

It states ‘I have been selected’ (this is a genuine VM email address which has come from  email@em.virginmedia.com ) and says I have 7 days from today to take up the offer and has an ‘Upgrade’ button contained within the email !

Anyone received one of these before ? And the bigger question is - should I go for it considering it’s a free update…..?!

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again deans6571,

It looks like the genuine VM email address.

You've asked a lot of questions in the 360 forum, so should have most of the answers you need as to if it will suit you.

You've seen the repeated problems, a little different to the normal V6 issues, and how it's still a work in progress, as was the TIVO and V6 when first introduced.

I can only speak for myself and I have had no issues with my 360 boxes, but there again as I've repeatedly stated in my posts, I never used all the bells and whistles of the V6.

A few posters have complained about poorer picture quality, in my opinion even though I have the V6 boxes which had the Horizon update, my pictures seem clearer that previously. Having said that it might be linked to a newer TV I purchased and  my TV settings

Just remember it's a one way trip with very, very few exceptions if you don't like it.

Maybe  time to try the new 360 of out of contract, and if you don't like it switch to another provider, or if you find you like it give VM a call and try and negotiate a new contract with a new discount? 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

104 REPLIES 104

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again deans6571,

You've asked a lot of questions in the 360 forum, so should have most of the answers you need as to if it will suit you.

You've seen the repeated problems, a little different to the normal V6 issues, and how it's still a work in progress, as was the TIVO and V6 when first introduced.

I can only speak for myself and I have had no issues with my 360 boxes, but there again as I've repeatedly stated in my posts, I never used all the bells and whistles of the V6.

A few posters have complained about poorer picture quality, in my opinion even though I have the V6 boxes which had the Horizon update, my pictures seem clearer that previously. Having said that it might be linked to a newer TV I purchased and  my TV settings

Just remember it's a one way trip with very, very few exceptions if you don't like it.

Maybe  time to try the new 360 of out of contract, and if you don't like it switch to another provider, or if you find you like it give VM a call and try and negotiate a new contract with a new discount? 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newapollo wrote:

Hi again deans6571,

…..thanks for the above and appreciate the swift response. 

Time for me to have a think……!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've received the same, and won't be taking up the offer!!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@newapollo wrote:

Hi again deans6571,

Hi deans6571,

Not too sure where the out of contract came from, unless the email you received states something, if you are part way through a contract all you are getting is the software change and remotes FOC you will still be tied to any existing contract, so if you still have 12 months to run and you don't like 360 you will be stuck with it.

This could be a sign that the end of the Tivo agreement is closer than some people would like you to believe.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

This could be a sign that the end of the Tivo agreement is closer than some people would like you to believe.

Or just a standard marketing campaign possibly targeting customers on particular packages who haven't converted on a paid-for basis, and may be persuaded to do so FOC.

Calling it a "free update" is bound to encourage some users to change who wouldn't otherwise be interested.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roy247
Community elder

@japitts wrote:

@roy247 wrote:

Or just a standard marketing campaign possibly targeting customers on particular packages who haven't converted on a paid-for basis, and may be persuaded to do so FOC.

Calling it a "free update" is bound to encourage some users to change who wouldn't otherwise be interested.

So japitts looks like you have been targeted then, do you do it now or wait for an unexpected delivery of 360 remotes and the on screen message saying press ok to update as Tivo is being dropped ???

It's coming closer.

Roy

@roy247 wrote:

@newapollo wrote:

Hi again deans6571,

Hi deans6571,

Not too sure where the out of contract came from, unless the email you received states something, if you are part way through a contract all you are getting is the software change and remotes FOC you will still be tied to any existing contract, so if you still have 12 months to run and you don't like 360 you will be stuck with it.

I’m actually only part way through my contract but realise there’s no turning back if I choose to update…

@roy247 wrote:

@newapollo wrote:

Hi again deans6571,

Hi deans6571,

I did say some time ago that the Tivo agreement was coming to an end sometime in 2022 and that VM would have to move everyone over to 360 for free.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Seeing the pricing for this conversion go in a downwards direction shouldn't be of any surprise.

Many users won't mind converting once this hurdle is overcome. Many others - myself included - are more concerned with the functionality gap.