cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Unpair Remote from Amplifier

TheFuzzy0ne
Tuning in

I had my Virgin Media services installed on Monday 6th August.

My remote was paired with my TV and I wanted to also pair it with my amplifier. What I should have known, is that there is no way to switch between controlling the volume TV and amplifier. Since I don't always have my amplifier on (I only use it for music and movies), it would be nice to unpair it from the amp.

However, there doesn't appear to be any way to unpair the remote from my amplifier. I have even tried resetting the 360 STB, and everything has reset apart from the remote pairing settings. Now my box is back to factory default, but the remote still shows as being paired to the amplifier.

An engineer was out today and even they can't figure out how to unpair it either. I think it's reasonable to assume that at some point in the life of one of your customers, an amp might break and may not be replaced so there really needs to be some way to unpair the amp from the remote. I wasn't  exactly thrilled with the prospect of factory resetting the STB and losing all of the settings and scheduled recordings I had set up, but I assumed it was necessary, so I did so. The factory reset should have unpaired the remote from the TV and amplifier (after all, they weren't paired when the box was installed), but it doesn't. So the factory reset is NOT actually a factory reset.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Since a factory reset doesn't even fix this, it's clear that this is a bug in the STB software and needs to be addressed. As far as I can tell, the only way to fix this is to install a new box (since there doesn't seem to be any way to reflash the box) which means I am going to have to go through all of the setup a third time. Experiencing such an issue on the first day of my being a Virgin Media customer doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Virgin Media, please could you update your 360 box to support this most basic and essential feature?

18 REPLIES 18

I have a 360 main and mini box, you should have the Volume keys control like this,

IMG_20230808_163450.jpg

and can change it from this,

IMG_20230808_163644.jpg

to this,

IMG_20230808_163629.jpg

and control either the TV or soundbar volume.

1701-e
Superfast

@roy247. I have the same issue as the OP.  

16915138657068242555295004037333.jpg

 even though two devices paired the option in your picture is not available 

I unpaired the remote and when it repaired with both devices the menu item appeared lol

TheFuzzy0ne
Tuning in

@roy247 @1701-e

You guys are frickin' awesome! Unpairing the remote and re-pairing it again displayed the missing option. It's definitely a bug, but I'm glad I was able to fix it without reinstalling a fresh box. It's just a shame I factory reset the box when I actually didn't need to. Although it is still odd that even after a factory reset, the pairing of the remote with my TV and amp was not cleared.

Thank you both for your help and for saving me £60 to diagnose and fix this silly box.

Edit: Unfortunately, I can only select one helpful answer, even though you both helped.

Edit 2: @roy247, please be so kind as to edit your post and add to the end that it may be necessary to unpair and re-pair the remote before the option is visible.

Unpair (Hold TV + Rewind until light on remote flashes)

Repair (Hold TV + 0 for 10 seconds)

Hi TheFuzzyOne,

Good to hear that everything is ok.

If you do want to factory reset the 360 box there are 2 options,

Choosing Keep Recordings, means you won't lose your recordings and any planned recordings or series links you've set up, but you will have to sign into your apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITVX again, also Match frame rate and Standby power consumption will go back to their default settings if you have changed them.

I did try the 'non-destructive' reset first, and it still had the remote pairings, so I tried the one where it formatted the HDD, which yielded the same result.

In hindsight (which is always 20/20), I think the box did fully reset, but the pairing was actually from the remote itself which was relayed back to the box via Bluetooth? I'm not sure, because I did try pairing a new remote and it still had the same issue.

But anyway, many, many thanks again. You and @1701-e are my heroes. It's just a shame the VM forum staff did not know what to do.

Well, so far I have tried:

• Re-pairing with the TV and the soundbar (which no longer exists) 
  • Un-pairing the remote from the 360 box and re-pairing

But I still have no option to change the volume control back to the TV. Anyone got any other ideas? 

You could try leaving the batteries out overnight, or someone posted this;

""Don't know what I've done but I've sorted it. 

As I went back into the pairing bit on the Audio, but put " NO " to pairing it up, and then continually putting " NO ", which then unpaired it. Plus it seemed to have sorted the volume problem out which was originally rubbish."" 

That was in this ***link*** 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi TheFuzzy0ne,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sincere apologies for any issues faced, just from checking the thread I can see that you've accepted a solution, has this been resolved now?

Regards,

Kain