Menu
robigouk
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ultra HD recordings don't play on the other box?

Ok so I've been setting all my recordings to be on my downstairs main box. Tonight I went to watch upstairs and it says it can be only watched on the box it was recorded on?  I know the V6 TiVo had this problem but I expected the new software to be able to do it?  So if I had the new boxes (main and mini) I guess it would work?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
robigouk
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ultra HD recordings don't play on the other box?

Hi guys and gals, anybody have an insight on this?

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I will try today if i can and see what happens, I have set a programme to record this evening on the Ultra HD channel. Although not sure how much I will be able to test with the current recording bugs

0 Kudos
BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@robigouk wrote:

Ok so I've been setting all my recordings to be on my downstairs main box. Tonight I went to watch upstairs and it says it can be only watched on the box it was recorded on?  I know the V6 TiVo had this problem but I expected the new software to be able to do it?  So if I had the new boxes (main and mini) I guess it would work?

What were you trying to watch at the time?   Can you share an image of the error message please?

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In theory all recording should be able to be played on any of your boxes. If this is not the case gt Ultra HD recording this needs to be changed as there is no limitation on why you should not be able to play on any box. Internal network speeds will be quick enough to send Ultra HD data between boxes.

0 Kudos
robigouk
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When I try to start to play the recording (on the other box) a pop up appears top right hand side of the screen saying:-

You recorded this on the Lounge (my downstairs box). The channel only lets you watch it on that box.

The recording was from 999 virgin ultra.

0 Kudos
KeithLeonard
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I too am getting the same message on my bedroom 360 box having recorded Psycho last night.

keithse
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@robigouk wrote:

I don't think this was a "problem" with the V6 per se, more a licencing issue.

And so I suppose those licences haven't changed fro the 360 so recordings from some channels can't be viewed on another box, as detailed in the 2nd bullet below:

keithse_0-1607969019261.png

Taken from this page:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-watch-recordings-on-another-tv-box 

There did used to be a list of channels that this applied to, but I can't find it now (and I think the list has been getting shorter over the years).

Keith

0 Kudos
robigouk
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

so I can record BT 4k on the other box and it plays fine (I've tested it) but Virgin's own ULTRA HD channel is restricted? Typical Virgin arse about face....

My question is - *if* I have the new 360 main box and the mini box as the new main box is the only thing with a HDD I'm guess the mini would play Virgin Ultra HD 999 recordings ok?

0 Kudos