Menu
archercj
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Two V6 boxes - can you upgrade just one of them to 360

I have hated the Tivo interface since we moved to Virgin a couple of years ago so the thought of a new front end makes me happy. But we also have a second V6 box that the wife has taken to and doesnt like change. So the thought of a new front end AND remote isnt rocking her boat.

Is it possible to just update one of the V6 boxes (until I 'accidently' update the other)?

Also do the existing remotes still work when you have updated a V6 to 360 (yes I know they dont have voice command).

And also does the Tivo to 360 update wipe all stored data i.e. recordings. Her collection of Cagney & Lacey and Gavin & Stacey is legendary. Yes I know they are on box set 🙂

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Two V6 boxes - can you upgrade just one of them to 360

no you can't mix v6 and 360 on the same account.

You must upgrade all boxes.
It will wipe the recordings
newapollo
Hero
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The existing remotes will be replaced by the voice control 360 remotes.

Currently there's all  series, plus 2 specials  of Gavin & Stacey available from the VM store. However series 2 will start screening on Watch HD from 23rd April.so should be available on catch up and can be recorded.

There's nothing showing for Cagney & Lacey on catch up or box sets, or for future recordings, however it' will no doubt be back later this year.

EDIT You could always show the other half You tube videos of 360   then wait for the divorce papers to be served  rofl.gif

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
archercj
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded 'my' V6 box to 360. No problems whatsoever including getting it all working with my Harmony remote. It looks suspiciously like some Kodi system with a skin upgrade added. Anyway I quite like it. Just the niggle of no All4 app.

But just as I finished the shout came from upstairs. 'What yer done'. Oh dear it went and started the upgrade on the 'wifes' V6 box. 

Ooooops - no tea for me tonight lol

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi again archercj,

I hope you've been fed, and aren't in the dog house.

Tell the other half a partial truth, VM are changing the operating system, software and appearance on all their equipment (it's just it won't be compulsory for a while, a bit like Sky and the SkyQ boxes)

My5 has only very recently added, so there's every hope that it won't be long before All4 and other apps surface.

Although All4 isn't an app in it's own right on the 360, a lot of the content is accessible via the Catch Up menu by selecting All4 from the All Channels drop down.at the top of the screen. 

Your wife may like voice search,  just saying "Emmerdale" will switch to the program if it's on, or to the catch up. In the same way you can just say the channel name.

There's lot's of useful 360 help on <<< this page >>> 

Stay safe and take care.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
archercj
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dave - I am trying to discourage the wife to talk at all never mind bark commands at the remote like she does me lol

Seriously though I think the main niggle was her loss of all recordings. Probably my fault but when I did the 1st V6 box you get the option of delaying the upgrade for 7 days. i assumed (wrongly) that the 2nd box would give the same option.

And just talking to her (yes we are still talking lol) is that historical things she has are not often easily re-recorded. What I think that means is that for example she had the last four episodes of 24 hours in police custody recorded but only the current/last episode appears to be present. To be honest I rarely record anything but she said the Tivo front end was easier for back episodes. make sense?
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@archercj wrote:
 To be honest I rarely record anything but she said the Tivo front end was easier for back episodes. make sense?

The TiVo/V6 & V360 are entirely different platforms, and operate totally differently. But yes - many of the current shortcomings of the V360 platform are around the recording & SL functionality.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @archercj

Thank you for your post regarding upgrading one box from V6 to 360. Unfortunately it is not possible to upgrade one box, you will need to upgrade all boxes at the same time. Upgrading to the 360 box will wipe all your previous recordings, so unfortunately your wife will lose her recorded Gavin and Stacey collection.

If you wish to speak to a member of our team about upgrading, please call 150 / 0345 454 1111 then press 1 🙂

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos