Menu
Arvind
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Tv 360

I have just spend 2 hours on chat because i was given wrong information to start with. 

I have 2 v6 boxes and 1 tivo boxes.wanted to upgrade to 360

I am told they cant do it at the moment because it needs engineer to change. Is this correct. I also yhen asked if i can upgrade the 2 v6 at the moment and change tivo box when the engineer can attend. They said not possible.

Is this correct

Anybody else had this problem

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tv 360

Yes, that's correct.

The TiVo can't take the V360 software, so that'll need swapping out for starters. Generally, upto 2 x V6 can accept the V360 migration remotely, but additional migrations do tend to need a home visit which VM aren't currently offering for anything other than fault fixes.

Your TiVo will probably be swapped for a minibox, which doesn't have a hard-drive, so be aware you will lose the storage on this box by migrating to V360.

VM's current guidance on home visits is at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/coronavirus-update under "keeping our customers safe".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Hero
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm afraid you can't run a TIVO and a 360 (Horizon) box together as they are different operating systems.

An engineer is required to fit a 3rd box, whether the original box was a TIVO or a V6, also for new installs. Even swapping the TIVO for another V6 would be the same scenario.

Due to covid safety restrictions VM are only sending out engineers for faults and new installs https://www.virginmedia.com/help/coronavirus-update 

Hopefully this will change as soon as more measures are relaxed.

The VM systems are such that they will place the 3rd box on hold  (not sure of the exact terminology) and this prevents the upgrade of the first 2 boxes

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@newapollo wrote:

An engineer is required to fit a 3rd box, whether the original box was a TIVO or a V6, also for new installs. Even swapping the TIVO for another V6 would be the same scenario.

Not that it matters to the OP, but for the benefit of anyone else.. I'm not sure the bit in bold is the same scenario. A single TiVo > V6 swap is just that, a single box-swap that can usually be done by QuickStart self-serve, given that the coax install is already present.

A customer with multiple TiVo's wanting them swapped to V6, could indeed be the same.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Arvind
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Reading your message do i understand that engineer visit is not required to swap tivo box.

I have two v6 boxes  also

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps I've mis-read something here Arvind - but you've posted some potentially contradictory info, which could well change the advice completely.

In post 1 you've said "I have 2 v6 boxes and 1 tivo boxes", you're now saying "I have two v6 boxes"

2 x V6 should be ok to migrate remotely, this should just be the software download.

If you have further additional boxes and/or any TiVo's, this will complicate matters. Any TiVo's will need swapping regardless and you'll likely lose the storage on these when they're swapped for a mini-box.

0 Kudos
Arvind
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes sorry i have 2 v6 noxes and tivo box.i understand that i would loose everything on that .as it is i dont have any recording on this.

There is another which i still cant understand when VM says that as it needs engineer tbey cannot do this due to government restriction.. I fail to understand if engineer can come and chnage boxes which they had to do for.my tivo box then why they can't come and do swap for the.mini box. 

I am really not sure if government really has put this restriction!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM's policy on home visits seems to be generally based around what's necessary to maintain service, versus what can wait because it's not.

Single fault-fix box-swaps are deemed necessary to maintain service, but are often done using self-serve QuickStart in order to avoid the need for techs to enter homes. There are some other issues factoring into this which can sometimes complicate issues - namely kit supply.

A box-swap purely for the underlying purpose of changing software, when you already have working service - is currently deemed unnecessary.

0 Kudos
Arvind
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin tv 360

Has there been any change in engineer visit for upgrade to 360.i am still not sure if right infirmation is been given or vm just delaying the roll out 360.is there an engineers visit required.

I have just read that if you have two v6 boxes and one tivo.vm is sending a starter pack for the.minibox and remotes for the v6 boxes for upgrade to 360.

What is the real truth 🤔or there is no truth we can get from vmedia

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin tv 360

Having just been through this myself yesterday and today my understanding is...

If you have a TiVo they can't upgrade the V6 boxes.
The TiVo has to be replaced with a mini.
An engineer's visit is required to install the mini.(I have absolutely no idea why)
They're not currently booking engineers for non-essential visits.
0 Kudos