Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Tv 360

Hi 

There's been alot of rumours in the papers recently. Or should I say speculation. One of the papers which has mentioned virgins tv 360 upgrade the most. Appears to be the express. Apparently the tv 360 is going to be rolled out before Christmas this year. I've just queried this with virgins tv tech team over the phone. The lady did suggest the update will be rolled out to existing v6 boxes over night via a firmware update when it's ready to be rolled out. She couldn't be curtain wether it will be done this year. As it's still in its testing stage. She did confirm I won't be getting a new box. She said my existing box will be upgraded with the horizon ui firmware. As I've already got the latest model of box. Can any clarify this 🤔

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tv 360

It will be interesting to see how this is going to be managed.

Imagine waking up one morning with the new interface and all your recordings gone. An interface which, judging by existing comment here, is immature and VERY far from the superb product that is V6, driven by TiVo.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Put it this way Ernie. 

I certainly won't be happy if my recordings get deleted off through the new ui firmware 360 tv update 🙁. I seriously hope it will be done without losing any recordings 🤔 I'm pritty sure it can be installed without losing recordings. But hey time will tell 😁

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know if the existing remote will work after the UI update is rolled out, or will it require each customer to receive a new remote? I really do not want the update as the new Horizon software sounds terrible compared to the existing firmware, I hope they allow customers to cancel TV given how poorly it has been received.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Tv 360 platform

Hi 

There's been some exciting news about virgin media's new TV 360 platform on twitter and the express news website today . Apparently with this new platform we get a brand new voice activated remote 😊.

Please can someone clarify if our existing v6 boxes will get the platform update sent to them? As I live with my grandparents. I have a multi room v6 box in the lounge for them. With its own hard drive. They won't be happy if they have to record their shows onto my hard drive. Also I won't be happy either 🙁. I really need to keep my existing boxes as we have our own separate shows recorded. Sharing a hard drive unfortunately won't work for me 🙁. My nan has shows already recorded. Aswell as recording more through series links and wish lists. So I do. I cant bare to lose her recordings aswell as mine 🙁

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tv 360 platform

In short, no it won’t. V360 Horizon is a next generation platform which is totally different to the TiVO based platform being used on the V6 & older TiVO boxes. The only thing we are liable to get with the older platform updates now are bug fixes.

The V6 was basically released with TiVO firmware as a hardware test bed to make way for Horizon. The next stage will be removal of the hard drives altogether, with the use of cloud storage. That is when the content owners come round to the idea.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

OK. So if virgin are waiting for their content owners coming round to the idea of cloud storage. We will be waiting a long time then 😊. So I guess the new platform will be rolled out onto our existing v6 receivers. As between me and you that will be the easiest option for virgin 😁. I'm not to concerned as my contract doesn't expire until April 2021. So I won't be open to swapping my boxes until then atleast. That's if I agree to swap them at all. As I do think virgin should upgrade their existing boxes with the new platform. I have a brand new box. As my last one had technical issues. Virgin have confirmed I've got the latest model which is horizon ready 😊

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I would keep what you have if I were you. I don't know if you can just download the horizon software to convert the V6 from Tivo to being a 360, but then I don't get privileged information. If you go through the trial "upgrade" as I did, I lost 2 boxes that you could record on to be replaced by 1 with a hard drive and 1 mini box with no drive. Virgin need to roll out some software upgrades to existing users before messing up the Tivo V6's out there. Keep seeing post's about upcoming software upgrades but no timescale.

Roy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hey Roy247

Don't you worry. I won't be letting go of my V6 boxes anytime soon. As you say virgin need to upgrade the firmware on their existing boxes. I'm sure horizon can be done as a update to existing boxes. I remember speaking to a guy in the IT team where I used to work before I was made redundant a few month ago. He mentioned that the platform update can be done via a firmware and software update to the boxes. So yes virgin can update the platform on their existing v6 boxes 😊

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Don't forget the V6 is five years old already. Technology has moved on. The V360 box is modified & as the streaming capability is far more advanced than the TiVO firmware.

V360 runs exclusively from the TV GO app, it doesn't require TV Control. There is also the voice remote, & the new remote uses Bluetooth as opposed to RF.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos