Menu
kenny009uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To keep or cancel upgrade....

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I have ordered the new 360 boxes and these are due to be installed in the next few days but i am reading on the forum a lot of folk arent happy with the 360 upgrade.

Whats the general consensus? Is it worth it? Should I keep my V6 and cancel the upgrade?

Thanks

Kenny

0 Kudos
markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: To keep or cancel upgrade....

TBH I haven’t really had any problems, at first I had a problem with the sound not coming on when I switched on, but have somehow solved that (don’t ask me how as I have no idea, it just now all works lol), the pros for me outweigh the cons, such as one button to switch everything on, and also voice control.  Only cons I have is the series recording doesn’t distinguish between new and repeats, although that’s not too much of a problem as I just delete the repeat recordings, bit of a hassle but I’m sure that will be fixed soon.

kenny009uk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.  

0 Kudos
tafrock
Up to speed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree Mark dyer. The improvements with the system outweigh the cons for me. Yes the series link thing is a pain but I can cope with the deletion of rerecorded programmes for now. Most the other gripes aren't a problem for me such as no wishlists, no undelete. The ease of finding catch up programmes, the modern interface and improvement in picture quality and sound all make it worthwhile for me 

0 Kudos
markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well for me the minute I read ‘voice control’ and ‘one power (HDMI-CEC), I didn’t delay filling in the form to agree new remote and software upgrade 😄

tafrock
Up to speed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I use voice control to fast forward on recordings and search for things. I too like the total control with cec. However I have lost the ability to turn soundbar and off automatically with TV and virgin box. I still have volume control of the surround sound so only need to tap the on off button on top of the sound bar

I did have total control but have had to connect soundbar to virgin box via optical lead and not hdmi via TV arc socket so as to cure the sound dropout and sound lag problems

0 Kudos
kenny009uk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That is a bit annoying. 

is this an issue with all soundbars I wonder. What one do you have if you don’t mind me asking ? 

0 Kudos
tafrock
Up to speed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sony TV and Sony soundbar. Worked fine using hdmi from box to TV then hdmi arc from TV to soundbar hdmi arc when the boxes were running v6 software 

However once upgraded to 360 software (same boxes) the dreaded sound lag combined with dropouts and dalek sounds started. I guess it's because 360 software processes dolby differently to v6 software 

Once I connected 360 box to soundbar via optical (maintaining the hdmi from 360 box to TV but removing the hdmi arc connection from TV to soundbar) the audio problems vanished 

Sadly my soundbar only has one hdmi and one optical so I have to reconnect the hdmi lead if I want to watch a blueray or smart TV app. 

I don't tend to do that much though so Its not too much of a problem 

0 Kudos
kenny009uk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Aw no  it’s a Sony one I’ve got. The x8500 or something. 

really can’t be bothered with audio issues so I might just cancel it as I’ve got arc on mine. 

infact is earc I’ve got. 

0 Kudos
tafrock
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Earc may work better. It's an upgraded version of arc. Also your amp will probably have more inputs. Mine only had one hdmi and one optical. If you've two hdmis on the soundbar you could connect virgin box to one and the other from soundbar to TV. It works fine with optical anyway. It's not a reason to cancel 

0 Kudos