cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box broken sending TV 360 box but charging installation fee

Wotme
Joining in

I have had intermittent issues with my Tivo box where by all you see are the menus. You can change channels but no programs are displayed. Several reboots will not get it going. The next day I find it working. I have reported this twice before but got nowhere, going round in circles on VM chat bot.

Finally I got someone to help via chat, who said it sounds like a faulty box and will send out a new TV 360 box for you to enjoy! Absolutely no mention of any fees as I presumed I was being send a replacement for a faulty box. I find I'm now being charged an installation fee of £24.99 which is ironic when I'm the one installing the box.

Spoke to retentions who point blank refused to remove the fee although apologised for the oversight. I've been with VM when it was NTL and this past year has been the worst down time for broadband and TV outage along with the recent email issues. 

Any help or suggestions greatly received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Wotme wrote:

I have had intermittent issues with my Tivo box where by all you see are the menus. You can change channels but no programs are displayed. Several reboots will not get it going. The next day I find it working.

This is usually an HDCP handshake problem, & can be caused by a faulty HDMI lead or a problem with the TV. These should be investigated before reporting the box as faulty.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo & V6 both run TiVo software, a TV360 is a completely different TV service much akin to how Apple is different to Android.

Faulty TiVo's are replaced with V6 as a matter of course, but it sounds like you have been offered - and accepted - a voluntary conversion to TV360, which would explain the additional fees.

A fault replacement is indeed FOC, this would usually be done by tech visit, but would be to a V6 not a TV360. Do you have a saved transcript of that chat conversation?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Wotme, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to community I am so sorry to hear about this it should been explained to you.

Normally when we do charge this its for an install or activation Fees.

I can see you also spoke to the team about this, did they manage to get this resolved for you? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Wotme wrote:

I have had intermittent issues with my Tivo box where by all you see are the menus. You can change channels but no programs are displayed. Several reboots will not get it going. The next day I find it working.

This is usually an HDCP handshake problem, & can be caused by a faulty HDMI lead or a problem with the TV. These should be investigated before reporting the box as faulty.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Wotme
Joining in

Thanks nodrogd for the feed back, the HDMI cable is a gold plated one and I had unplugged plugged when I had the issue which made no difference. Now I have a new TV360 box, it has an new cable and I will use this,. Useful info for the future.

Hello Matt

I have now received a new TV360box and will at some point install this.

What I find frustrating is the lack of upfront information regarding charges.

I was lead to believe my Tivo box is faulty and I believed I was getting a replacement FOC.

I now understand via retentions that VM no longer supply the Tivo box. Many years ago the Tivo box was replaced FOC, even though it was a signal issue.

I can understand everyone would like the latest TV box but in my case I'm not really bothered and I just want reliability something that is unfortunately a bit hit and miss with VM lately. 

Retentions were unable to remove the install/activation fee and attempted to change packages but this made it more expensive.  So I'm in a catch 22 situation and have to pay for something beyond my control.

It’s a real shame as I have been with VM for a very long time and I’m now no longer promoting VM as they mislead on charges.

We are very sorry that you are unhappy with the box @Wotme 

We always want to our services to be the best they can be, which is why we often upgrade to new and improved equipment. 

In regards to the activation fee, I would be happy to discuss this further with you via a Private Message where we can discuss raising a complaint for you. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

I recently reported a faulty remote and they were billing me a tenner for a replacement.  I had to remind them that this equipment is rented from Virgin Media and should be fit for purpose.   Tenner waived. 

Thanks for the feedback, good point, the TV box is rented, so I should not have to pay for installation of a new box because VM can not supply a Tivo box.  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Faulty TiVo's are replaced with V6 as a matter of course, but it sounds like you have been offered - and accepted - a voluntary conversion to TV360, which would explain the additional fees.