cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo 360 - record on one box it does so on the other

Valkyrie6
Joining in

It seems it is normal for two boxes to act as one on the new system. If I record on one box it does so on the other. Likewise with deleting. Am I stupid or does that mean that in a busy household if different indiduals are using both boxes the reality is that you can only record 3 programmmes on each at the same time ? If that is the case it makes a nonesense of the much lauded 'record up to 6 programmes at once whilst watching another ' My second box is not a mini box.

If true my upgrade is a downgrade. Previously the same boxes acted totally independantly.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Valkyrie6,

Which boxes do you have?

If it's 2* V6 boxes that had the software change to the Horizon operating system then you have full storage on both boxes.

If you have a 360 master box and a 360 mini box then only the master box has a hard drive.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Royalbeech
Superfast

@Valkyrie6 wrote:

It seems it is normal for two boxes to act as one on the new system. If I record on one box it does so on the other. Likewise with deleting. Am I stupid or does that mean that in a busy household if different indiduals are using both boxes the reality is that you can only record 3 programmmes on each at the same time ? If that is the case it makes a nonesense of the much lauded 'record up to 6 programmes at once whilst watching another ' My second box is not a mini box.

If true my upgrade is a downgrade. Previously the same boxes acted totally independantly.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

Answer to your first question - YES!

If you have 2 full 360 boxes (V6) then bothe will record seperatly, the software shows all the recording from both boxes, you can however see what is recorded on the box that you are viewing at the time, by going to the recording and selecting recorded on this box.

play around with the menus.

when you set up a recording go to advanve options and it will give you the option to pick which box to record on.

you have 6 recording channels on both boxes.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also just by means of general advice, there's no such thing as a TiVo 360. TiVo is the software that drives the TiVo & V6 boxes, and it's completely different to the Horizon software which drives the 360.

If you've converted V6 boxes into 360, they are no longer TiVo/V6 but now 360. Hence the common parlance.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Dave,

I have two V6 boxes and both have 1tb hard drives (or at least that is what it says underneath). I may never get to that stage because I don't have a gaggle of kids all wanting to record programmes at the same time, but my concern is that in theory at least I ought to be able to record six programmes on one box and six on the other all at the same time to comply with Virgin's boast that you can watch one programme whilst recording six others.

One miserable wet day I will play with the boxes and test the theory but in all honesty I suppose as a household we are unlikely to want to record twelve programmes at once although thinking about it if a programme runs over such as in sport, we may want to record seven at once. Like I say I will have a play. However if I'm right the Horizon upgrade is in reality a downgrade because on the old system each box acted as an individual and with the new software the boxes seem joined at the hip.

Malcolm

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Malcolm

To my way of thinking you have 12 tuners, 6 on each 360 box, so you can watch one program on each box and both boxes will still have 6 tuners available to record..

Just for info, if setting up a series link go to Advanced and select which box you want the recording to be made on. It will then be recorded on that box going forward, even if the default recording box is the other one.

So all you need to do is reset your series links to record on the box you want them to.

You can also use the same method to record individual programs rather than series.

If recording sport you can add  padding to extend  the program, for example currently Eurosport1 has a live cycling program (Vuelta a Espana Cycling) 

Click on record and in the screen that opens click on Advanced options >  ( you can also choose which box to record on from here ) then Extra time after - you have the choice to extend the recording by

1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 14 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, 2 hours and 3 hours.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali