Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

TiVo 6 to TV360 downgrade

I was offered an upgrade to the new 360 box.  I received it today and I'm really not impressed.  It feels such a downgrade in functionality.

Right now, I really want to go back to my TiVo 6 box.

Some complaints:

1. My HDMI output to TV goes through a splitter box, so I can put the picture onto two TVs.  Every time I turn the tv360 box back on from standby, I don't get a picture.  I have to have a direct connection from the box to TV, and then I can put it back through the splitter.  Major inconvenience.

2.  The channel up/down buttons seem reversed.  They move in the wrong direction compared to the up/down arrow buttons.  It's annoying.

3.  Major loss of functionality just about everywhere I have tried.  Series recording, browsing, just about everything really.

4. The remote control is lacking a lot of quick access, such as My Programs, Search.  I find general navigation more cumbersome.

5. I'm not so fond of the big graphical blocks of lists, such as recorded programs, instead of the clear list of programs.

6. Can't add individual program episodes to watch later, only mark the whole series.

7. I knew I would lose my recorded programs, but my understanding was the settings would be retained, such as liked programs, series links, and it would simply download programs that were still available again.  Not the case, lost everything.  I can't select individual programs from catch-up to add to my programs to be watched now, so I have to remember for each program how far I have got in the series.

About the only thing I find a benefit is the profiles, but I can live without that, compared to everything else I've lost.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo 6 to TV360 downgrade

4. The remote control is lacking a lot of quick access, such as My Programs, Search. I find general navigation more cumbersome.

Have you tried using voice? Just say "my shows" or "recordings" or "saved", and of course for any search terms you need

7. I knew I would lose my recorded programs, but my understanding was the settings would be retained,

Were you told this by an agent?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm not fond of voice control for navigation.  I don't find it faster than pressing buttons to navigate, but it is better for searching for programs than entering text.

As an example, to access previously recorded programs in TiVo V6, press My Programs, scroll up/down press play.  After watching, press Clear button to delete the recording.

On 360 box, press home, scroll across to Saved, scroll down to recorded programs, expand list.  Scroll up/down click ok, select play option.  To delete, I think this needs to be repeated.

Also when choosing to watch live programmes on channels, I frequently get asked if I want to watch live stream or start programme from the beginning.  It's a bit tedious.

I think the email inviting the upgrade said I would lose recorded programmes, but the settings would synchronise.  I'll check wording later.  I asked agent and he said possibly, sometimes it does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there HergestPhil,

Thanks for posting about our new TV360 platform and sorry to hear you're not happy with it. I'm afraid it's not possible to do so however we are still working on improving the TV360. As it's a new product, we still have a few bugs that we're aware of and are looking at squashing them with future updates.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It needs a lot of work.  Seriously, this is awful.  It's a major downgrade in just about every possible way.  Far from just a few bugs to be resolved.  Why can't I have a Tivo v6 box back whilst you work hard over future releases to get the bugs sqashed.  So much old functionality lost.  The invite email stated "... now with new features like super powerful voice search, personal profiles and more."  What more new features are there?  It didn't mention all the things that we would be losing.

I selected a load of programs to add to watch list.  I understand I can't select individual episodes, it just bookmarks the programme.  Only it doesn't, my watchlist is still empty.

I watched a programme, stopped it half way through.  tried to resume later, but nothing happened.  I had to start from the beginning and fast-forward.

After I watched the programme, I wanted to delete the recorded programme, but there's no dedicated delete button.  I tried the "..." context button, no option there.  I tried voice comms "Delete", and it searched for a programme called delete.

Previously when I series linked a programme, I could select whether to record SD or HD, include only new episodes, ignore repeats, etc. There's litterally no options now.  I keep having to manually trim out programmes that have been recorded that I don't want to watch.  The recorded programmes list doesn't indicate what series/episode has been recorded.

I can't tell it thumbs up or down for programmes I like/dislike, so I don't know how it is going to recommend anything to me.  Tivo 6 used to record programmes it thought I might like based on my input.

I feel like I've been used as a guinea pig.  I'll be interested to read any positive thoughts of other people that took up the offer of a free upgrade.

The worst thing is the HDMI out not being reliable.  I use an HDMI splitter, so I can watch the output on two different either end of the room.  Doesn't work any more - I don't know if this is something that has intentionally been done to make us pay instead for additional satellite boxes to view on additional TVs (no chance I'm going to pay any more), but I don't need to view different channels, just repeat the signal onto another TV for when I move around the house.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I would agree with virtually everything  HergestPhil has said. These new boxes are a total pain in the bum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The issues that you mention with watchlist and not finding anything in the Continue Watching menu is definitely a fault and you should call into 150 to get those looked at.  We have a ring fenced team to deal with issues with the new service.

If you want to use HDMI splitters then try dropping resolution to 1080, it wont work at UHD because of copy protection.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you mean by dropping the resolution to 1080.  The V360 box setting is "Automatic", which it says will use the TV's default settings.  Other options are 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p.  I've tried all of these, and I don't get a picture on both outputs from the splitter; consistently get only one.  But if I pull the HDMI cable out and put it back in, it sometimes it will work until the next time the box goes into standby.

Often after I finish watching a programme, I find the programme gets listed within Saved > Continue Watching.  I have not selected to Save the file.  It shows a progress bar indicating I've not finished watching a programme (for example about 50% progress), although I have watched it all.  If I select to "pick up where you left off" nothing happens, it doesn't play at the position it thinks I got to.

Fortunately I can delete these, but I shouldn't need to; I didn't want it there in the first place.

Literally nothing works properly, if I had to call 150 to report every problem, I'd never get time to watch anything.  The new box has a mere fraction of the functionality and flexibility of the Tivo V6 box, and the bit of functionality still left in this aweful user experience doesn't work reliably.

I won't be encouraging any friends and family to join Virgin TV, as it's embarrassing.  I will continue to steer people away from the service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Another annoyance - filtering the Guide to show only a category of channels.

On the Tivo V6, you could press Home button, and then go into the option to to view channels by category, eg. Sports.

On the V360, press Home, go to Guide.  The current channel is displayed.  eg. this might be "BT Sport 1".  To get to the Date or Channels filter, you have to scroll up through all the channels to get to those controls at the top of the screen .  Select "All channels" > scroll down to Sports (can't press Up to roll round to the bottom of the list, have to press down-arrow 9 times).  Scroll down to a channel and select it.  Next time I go to the Guide, it's reset back to "All channels", and to get a shortened list to select a channel have to go through the whole sequence again.

I've just discovered, unintuitively, that if you are in the guide and you press "Home", it goes to the top of the page, not home, so there is a shorter way to navigate.  It's just not intuitive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes the home shortcut is signposted with a number of other shortcuts in the new guide, although I have heard from a few people here that they didnt get one...

Have you considered using voice to navigate? Just say the channel or channel number and it will scroll to it.
Or say "back to the top" or "bottom" rather than the ten button preses
0 Kudos