Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The new 360 Box Two Weeks In...

The sound syncing is generally off; I know you can alter it but I don’t expect to have to alter it per show, that’s just an inconvenience I’ve never had an issue with previously.

The fast forward is too precise. TiVo did that awesome thing where it spun back a little, perfectly, to account for reaction time.

When re-setting up my series links there’s no option to only record new episodes or only record on HD channels so I’m left with  loads of SD episodes of stuff I’ve already seen on channels like BBC One Northern Ireland etc.

There’s no stop button. Pretty basic, no? Similarly, the TiVo skip buttons always worked well to get 15-30 mins at a time through a programme. None of that here.

The TVGO app is flakey at best. Half the time it’s down, the rest of the time it’s nowhere near as functional as the TV Remote one.

The interface is generally nice looking after TiVo but sweet Lord the functionality needs some work to even get near where it was. I’d definitely recommend waiting to go near it. I’m disappointed.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: The new 360 Box Two Weeks In...

I'd recommend experimenting with the voice control.  It's clearly the way they expect us to contribute box.  I'm now in the habit of telling it to play, stop, fast forward etc.  But I agree theres a way to go yet before this is a 100% fit for purpose system. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I did think that might be the case. Thanks for the suggestion. Don’t know what it is about voice control but I always forget to use it on various devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Nickspragg wrote:

There’s no stop button. Pretty basic, no? Similarly, the TiVo skip buttons always worked well to get 15-30 mins at a time through a programme. None of that here.

Pretty sure the 'back' button i.e. the curled arrow acts as stop.

Elsewhere it's been posted that the navigation keys around OK act as Skip buttons. Press right for 30 seconds forward and left for 10 second back if I recall - can't find the thread it was posted on at the moment. 

And again if I'm remembering correctly, for longer skipping pressing and holding left or right will bring up the playback bar and move the play point to where you want it and then OK will confirm it. That might also be true for multiple presses of the left/right buttons instead.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yep it does; just not intuitive when it’s not next to the other play/fwd/rwd buttons.

I guess I’ll get used to it in time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I know I forget a lot of the time that I can use voice commands for various devices and actions, too. One reason is that the voice option is not necessarily quicker or more convenient. I don't see how, for example, being able to press the Mic button and say 'subtitles on' or 'subtitles off' is better than having a dedicated subtitles button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re fast forwading and rewinding. I think we've been spoiled by how well the V6 handles that. I don't think there are many situations (if any) where I could get to the right point in a recording quicker on the 360 than I could with the V6. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@lennyv wrote:

I know I forget a lot of the time that I can use voice commands for various devices and actions, too. One reason is that the voice option is not necessarily quicker or more convenient. I don't see how, for example, being able to press the Mic button and say 'subtitles on' or 'subtitles off' is better than having a dedicated subtitles button.

You don't just have to do that though. Where available I'm sure they're under the 'three dots' button as an option, and of course can be set to always on in the settings.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

@lennyv wrote:

You don't just have to do that though. Where available I'm sure they're under the 'three dots' button as an option, and of course can be set to always on in the settings.

That is correct. To switch subtitles on or off without using voice you can press the '...' button, then select subtitles, and then IIRC you need to select on or off and click OK. So it's a few button presses and a few different buttons to get there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

And again if I'm remembering correctly, for longer skipping pressing and holding left or right will bring up the playback bar and move the play point to where you want it and then OK will confirm it. That might also be true for multiple presses of the left/right buttons instead.

Yes, if you keep it held down you get a super-rapid forward/rewind - it only takes a few seconds to move forward or back a couple of hours. You don't need to press OK after, though, you can just stop pressing when it gets to the right place and after a brief pause playback will resume from that point.

(Edit: I'm talking about using the normal << and >> keys for this, but I think you are talking about using the arrows either side of the OK key?)