Menu
Up to speed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TV360 software is only 'trial' version?

I've seen this mentioned in a couple of threads. Is it really true? If so, that means I'm essentially using a beta version, unfinished software. I don't think that was clearly signposted at all in the invitation to upgrade. Admittedly, it wouldn't be the first time I've missed some smallprint, but this seems pretty significant.

To put some context around this, I'm extremely unhappy with the box so far, and I'm hoping I'll be able to return it and go back to the V6. It seems to be a downgrade from V6 in many respects, and reminds me of when Humax, a few years ago, updated their interface to be more visual, less text-heavy, and in the process made it harder to perform simple and common tasks. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV360 software is only 'trial' version?

It is not 'trial' software - the release of the box is a 'trial' release.  Switching to it was not an "upgrade" but a change to a new service which is currently being enhanced.

The menus you currently get on the 360 are the live menus but will have new features added over the course of time.

I'm not aware of anybody who has been able to switch back to the old TiVo software boxes.

@lennyv wrote:

I've seen this mentioned in a couple of threads. Is it really true? If so, that means I'm essentially using a beta version, unfinished software. I don't think that was clearly signposted at all in the invitation to upgrade. Admittedly, it wouldn't be the first time I've missed some smallprint, but this seems pretty significant.

To put some context around this, I'm extremely unhappy with the box so far, and I'm hoping I'll be able to return it and go back to the V6. It seems to be a downgrade from V6 in many respects, and reminds me of when Humax, a few years ago, updated their interface to be more visual, less text-heavy, and in the process made it harder to perform simple and common tasks. 

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

To further add that once you have the v360 then I am afraid there is no path back too a previous box.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As someone who has a TV 360 and has been critical of the lack of TiVo-like functionality in terms of scheduling recordings, I have to say the box is performing well at recording what I want it to record.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Agreed - the few features it does have work really well and the graphics are a vast improvement.

Looking forward to the rollout of additional features.

@Ernie_C wrote:

As someone who has a TV 360 and has been critical of the lack of TiVo-like functionality in terms of scheduling recordings, I have to say the box is performing well at recording what I want it to record.

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

To further add that once you have the v360 then I am afraid there is no path back too a previous box.

Regards Mike

Could you expand on that at all? The last 24 hours has told me that I definitely should have researched this more before taking up the offer.

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

It is not 'trial' software - the release of the box is a 'trial' release.  Switching to it was not an "upgrade" but a change to a new service which is currently being enhanced.

The menus you currently get on the 360 are the live menus but will have new features added over the course of time.

It certainly felt like I was being offered an upgrade. The wording in the email I received, for example: "Once you’ve applied, it can take up to 7 working days to receive your confirmation. If you have recently signed up then please disregard this reminder, you will hear from us about your upgrade soon."

Maybe that's just standard boiler-plate text, although the email subject was "last chance to upgrade your TV experience at no extra cost".

I think what I've really been given is the chance to get the box before it's fully rolled out. Unfortunately, I think I've also received it before the software is really ready, but I can see that others have a more positive view on that. Don't get me wrong - I can see some neat features, but it feels like pre-release version still.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All major software has bugs. Liberty Global has a team fixing bugs, so I expect Horizon to improve over the coming years.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

Are you able to give any details of the new features, and when they will be added?

One thing that puzzles me, for example, maybe I'm just not doing something right, but there seems to be less integration between this software and the content available on demand from Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. I can't check my V6 box to verify this because it's now deactivated, but IIRC if I searched for a show that was available on one of those services, I could add it to my shows. This does happen on 360 with iPlayer content - but not with content from those other services. If I search for The Handmaid's Tale, for example, which I can get on Prime, the only option 360 gives me is to buy it from the Virgin store.

What I was hoping for (or expecting) was a seamless viewing experience where there's content from all these services that I want to watch, or that I am watching, and one place to watch them from. And the 'Continue watching' screen would be so so good if that was the case.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No idea when and what new stuff will be added.

There is no link up between search and the Amazon and Netflix apps. 😣

@lennyv wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

Are you able to give any details of the new features, and when they will be added?

One thing that puzzles me, for example, maybe I'm just not doing something right, but there seems to be less integration between this software and the content available on demand from Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. I can't check my V6 box to verify this because it's now deactivated, but IIRC if I searched for a show that was available on one of those services, I could add it to my shows. This does happen on 360 with iPlayer content - but not with content from those other services. If I search for The Handmaid's Tale, for example, which I can get on Prime, the only option 360 gives me is to buy it from the Virgin store.

What I was hoping for (or expecting) was a seamless viewing experience where there's content from all these services that I want to watch, or that I am watching, and one place to watch them from. And the 'Continue watching' screen would be so so good if that was the case.