Menu
Adrianbolton
Just browsing
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TV360 Recording

I have just received the new tv360 boxes and although I also suffered the none HD messages, but after rebooting it managed to sort out the issues. But my question is concerning the mini boxes, and how you record at these locations in the house as the message on these boxes naturally tell you their is no HD? 
So, can you record if you have a mini box and can you record if they are linked by WiFi ? 
I will say I’m not impressed with Virgin and these boxes and service in general but that’s another moan for another day. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
roy247
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV360 Recording

You cannot record directly on a mini box as there is no hard drive, you can set a program to record on the mini and it records it on the main 360 box.

The mini box does need connecting by either wifi or ethernet cable to your network or you won't be able to watch recordings or catch up TV.

You need to have your main box power setting to either fast start or active start, I use active start without any problem, and you do need to have the mini box connected by coax for live TV, there has been some misunderstanding over this with the advertising.

I haven't seen any of these non HD messages, unless its your TV package not supporting all the HD broadcasts but if you are on the ultimate oomph you should get all HD.

0 Kudos
Adrianbolton
Just browsing
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your response, I do have the full VM package and the reason for changing was because I was loosing recordings and the service in general wasn’t good.

however, I received the 360 box yesterday and three mini boxes to replace my other VM room boxes which would have had HD within them. So before I install all the other boxes, I wanted to know how I record and watch recordings from the different locations around the house. 

im going to say it’s not well thought through and their advertising is not clear ( unless intensional) to support the change over to the 360 system. 

my other moan is why the hell doesn't VM provide a back up system on your HD so that when you change out these boxes you don’t loose your recordings, you can do it with a mobile phone so I’m sure a tv box can operate in a similar process???

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Adrianbolton wrote:

my other moan is why the hell doesn't VM provide a back up system on your HD so that when you change out these boxes you don’t loose your recordings, you can do it with a mobile phone so I’m sure a tv box can operate in a similar process???

No, it can't. There are many reasons why it's not possible, a part of it being that neither you or Virgin Media own the recordings. Content providers licence the channels and content to Virgin Media and part of that allow a temporary copy to be kept for time-shifting purposes.

As part of your contract then you are licenced by Virgin Media to schedule, manage and watch those recordings, again on a temporary basis for time-shifting purposes.

Content providers want to ensure their content is protected and so do not give Virgin Media the right to transfer recordings between hardware. They don't do so for other pay TV providers either.

So there is no technical solution that is available for something that isn't allowed as part of the content agreements.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

@Adrianbolton wrote:

No, it can't. There are many reasons why it's not possible, a part of it being that neither you or Virgin Media own the recordings. Content providers licence the channels and content to Virgin Media and part of that allow a temporary copy to be kept for time-shifting purposes.

As part of your contract then you are licenced by Virgin Media to schedule, manage and watch those recordings, again on a temporary basis for time-shifting purposes.

Content providers want to ensure their content is protected and so do not give Virgin Media the right to transfer recordings between hardware. They don't do so for other pay TV providers either.

So there is no technical solution that is available for something that isn't allowed as part of the content agreements.

Also the time taken to shift everything from one box to another would be a huge time siink for an engineer, cloud recording are the way forward, Vigin just need to get the TV companies on board

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Adrianbolton
Just browsing
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dear Sir

many thanks for this clarification which is the first time VM have told me of these commercial reasons, so thank you I understand the reasoning now.

just on that point, should VM provide customers time to watch their recordings before they turn off their support to older boxes, the reason I say this is because I recently received the tv360 boxes and on the same day my system went down and I had to install the new boxes before I could watch my tv service which was annoying as I wasn’t advise the system would go down and not being technical I did not understand why a system would have been switched off when I had not even taken the new tv360 out of the box! 

anyway I do appreciate your comments so thank you for that, my next struggle is trying to understand how I can record and watch my FULL VM Services in different rooms when I have the main box with the HD in my lounge but I have mini boxes in bedrooms and kitchens around the house for other family members ? Please tell me it’s easy !!!!

adrian Bolton 

dublin 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Adrianbolton 

While all the advice given here in the UK is pertinent to you, you really should seek your advice in Ireland as there may be differences we are unaware of.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/contact/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos