cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV turns itself off and on

johnpgr
Joining in

Since I got a 360 box and new hub recently, my TV has started turning itself off and then on again after a couple of seconds.  This can happen about once an hour, and if I am listening to a recording I have to go back to the home button to watch the recording.

Has anyone else suffered this problem.

14 REPLIES 14

John619
Joining in

If your TV turns on or off at regular intervals, such as 30 minutes to an hour, it's likely caused by power saving functions such as Idle TV Standby, On Timer, and Sleep Timer. If the TV turns on or off when an HDMI-connected device is powered on or off, check the Bravia Sync settings.

@johnpgr wrote:

Since I got a 360 box and new hub recently, my TV has started turning itself off and then on again after a couple of seconds.  This can happen about once an hour, and if I am listening to a recording I have to go back to the home button to watch the recording.

Has anyone else suffered this problem.  MyAARPMedicare.com

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @johnpgr,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble with your TV switching off. To confirm, is the 360 box turning off and going into standby, or is it just your television? If it's the former, have you checked your settings?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

It is the TV that turns itself off - just as if I had pressed the TV (white) button on the remote control.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johnpgr wrote:

It is the TV that turns itself off - just as if I had pressed the TV (white) button on the remote control.

If your TV is turning itself off but your 360 remains on.. have you checked your TV settings for power-off or idle-timer?

What's the make & model of your TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @johnpgr,

Thank you for coming back to us and for confirming that it is the TV itself that you're having issues with.

Can you please confirm your TV make and model as @japitts asked? Our community will be happy to help look into what could be causing these issues with your TV system.

Keep us updated.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

My television is a Sony Bravia about 7 years old.  There is no pattern to the switching on and off - you can watch for a few hours without it happening, and it may then happen twice in half an hour.

This has only happened after the new 360 Box was installed both using the old HDMI connector, and the new one which was sent with the new Box.

Someone mentioned checking Sony Bravia Sync settings.  How do I do that?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @johnpgr 

A quick google search shows

Press the HOME button, then select [Settings] → [External Inputs] → [BRAVIA Sync Settings] → [Auto Devices Off] → [Off].

The settings layout may be slightly different on your actual TV though, also some TV's allow separate settings for the different HDMI inputs.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you so much to @japitts for their help and advise on this! 

Have you been able to try the steps they have provided? 

Thanks again.