cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV box location

sambda1
Tuning in

I am trying to organise Virgin Cable for my elderly mother who is moving.  I am being fed about 20 different scenarios by the telephone/chat people, all of whom are saying different things.  She is moving to a property which already has Virgin, but the current people only watch Netflix and not live TV.

The package we are looking at is Big Bundle, as she wants broadband, TV, and (landline) phone.  It seems you get a 360 box with this.  She wants live TV in her living room and bedroom. The entry point of the cable seems to be under the stairs.  Can this box stream the live pictures to her TV?  The sales person just said it needs to be hard-wired to the router and thus under the stairs? What good is a TV box under the stairs? This:

https://www.cable.co.uk/providers/virgin-media/installation/

says the box can be elsewhere.   All she wants to do is watch TV on 2 sets, just like with aerial sockets.  If the box cannot do this, is there one that can?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sambda1 wrote:

Will the engineer run ethernet from the hub to where her PC is (upstairs)?  It doesn't have a wireless card.

The techs won't install ethernet cabling.  Have you thought about buying a usb wireless adapter for her PC?

You can get them for as little as £7 from Amazon.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The tech can run a long wire to wherever it needs to go

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sambda1 wrote:

I am trying to organise Virgin Cable for my elderly mother who is moving.  I am being fed about 20 different scenarios by the telephone/chat people, all of whom are saying different things.  She is moving to a property which already has Virgin, but the current people only watch Netflix and not live TV.

Are the current people moving out of the property, and do they have a current subscription with VM? If  they do have a current subscription with VM then they will need to cancel it so that VM can set up an account for your mother.

The package we are looking at is Big Bundle, as she wants broadband, TV, and (landline) phone.  It seems you get a 360 box with this.  She wants live TV in her living room and bedroom. The entry point of the cable seems to be under the stairs.  Can this box stream the live pictures to her TV?  The sales person just said it needs to be hard-wired to the router and thus under the stairs? What good is a TV box under the stairs? This:

https://www.cable.co.uk/providers/virgin-media/installation/

says the box can be elsewhere.   All she wants to do is watch TV on 2 sets, just like with aerial sockets.  If the box cannot do this, is there one that can?

The installer will be able to set up the coaxial cabling in the living room and bedroom so that your mother can have the 360 boxes there. The telephone connection will be via the hub so she needs to decide which room she wants that placing in. You should have a read of the following page in case   yuor mother needs any extra support with the landline https://www.virginmedia.com/help/digital-voice-switchover 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TV360 box needs 3 connections.

1: Incoming co-ax cable, this provides the live broadcast TV signals

2: An internet connection via your homehub, ideally via Ethernet cable to your mother's router but reliable wireless should suffice.

3: An HDMI lead to your mother's TV

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It's possible to use a single 360 box as the remote's RF4CE can control the box from a reasonable distance, but the downside is a longer HDMI cable to the bedroom which the VM tech cannot supply.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for all the advice.  It seems she is OK with just having catch-up in her bedroom (to watch Eastenders etc. late at night whilst in bed), so presumably her smart TV up there can just do IPlayer, ITVHub etc. over wi-fi to the router, without going through the 360 box or needing coax?  So she just needs one 360 box in the living room and the coax installed next to the living-room TV.

Will the engineer run ethernet from the hub to where her PC is (upstairs)?  It doesn't have a wireless card.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sambda1 wrote:

The techs won't install ethernet cabling.  Have you thought about buying a usb wireless adapter for her PC?

You can get them for as little as £7 from Amazon.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

sambda1
Tuning in

Ok thanks.   The PC has on-board ethernet, so I'll probably use a Powerline adapter, or maybe I'll put a wireless card in in.  Useful to know I can't push the tech for ethernet, though (even though customer support on phone said they would "wire up the computer").