cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 upgrade woes

Xgriff
Tuning in

Hi, 

For those intending to upgrade from V6 / TiVo boxes, I wanted to share my experience and feedback.

If you’re a fan of the following functionality, reconsider :

- Wishlists, the ability to autorecord based on any keyword
- Ability to set recording when outside of your home (the app does allow this, but your box needs to be ON, not in standby, which let’s face it it’s very likely to be if you’re outside of your house)
- Skip forward 30 seconds using the remote (there’s a voice function, if you want to use this)
- Last Channel - when skipping between the same 2 channels, this is now gone.

I’m still early days using the new UI, but really struggling to find what benefits TV360 has over the previous set up. Many forums say it’s ’ cleaner’, but if you’re looking for voice search as your ‘killer feature’ that makes it worth it for you, then yes it may be a step up.

If you decide to go for the upgrade, then someone should tell you you’re going to lose all your recordings, your wishlists (as this is no longer an option), as well as all your series links. I wish someone had told me this before the engineer arrived, or even the engineer themselves, so I could at least take photos of what I’ve spent years refining.

Not every ‘upgrade’ is progress.

Simon
A disillusioned VM customer since 2001.

10 REPLIES 10

roy247
Superstar

@Xgriff wrote:

Hi, 

For those intending to upgrade from V6 / TiVo boxes, I wanted to share my experience and feedback.

If you’re a fan of the following functionality, reconsider :

- Wishlists, the ability to autorecord based on any keyword
- Ability to set recording when outside of your home (the app does allow this, but your box needs to be ON, not in standby, which let’s face it it’s very likely to be if you’re outside of your house) It does if you have the box set to fast start or active start 
- Skip forward 30 seconds using the remote (there’s a voice function, if you want to use this) press the > key next to OK 
- Last Channel - when skipping between the same 2 channels, this is now gone. use the TV / back key but it doesn't buffer the last channel like a V6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Xgriff wrote:

- Last Channel - when skipping between the same 2 channels, this is now gone.

To add to this, a V6 allows full buffering and control of all 6 recording tuners using the info tab. A TV360 only buffers on the live channel and any being recorded.

"Upgrade" is mainly used by VM's marketing & sales to describe TV360. Most regular users on this forum call it a conversion or a migration.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I find the voice function to be the single most useful upgrade feature of the 360 as I can switch easily from live TV to other things such as recordings or apps. The feature I miss the most is when pressing play after FF does not rewind several seconds.

I have to say that I don't find it helpful to look at a list of comparison features of the V6 and 360 as some have done for nearly three years. The future is the 360 which is being developed (like apps such as Disney+ and discovery+) whereas the V6 is not, so the best thing is to learn how to make the best use of the 360.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

lena2
Tuning in

TV 360 is awful, I hate it. I had no idea what it was, if I had known I would have refused. 
My contract was being renewed and I was told I had to have this "upgrade" and some new hardware. I told the lady on the phone there was nothing wrong with my kit but she said I had to have it. 

The system is so backward it is untrue. You lose so much functionality, so many useful functions are gone, I literally have nothing good to say about TV 360 or the way Virgin tricked me into having this crap. I am telling my family and friends to refuse it, read all the small print, and to refuse any contract from Virgin with this dog's breakfast system. I'm stuck with it for a while but after a very bad contract renewal experience this awful system is going to be months of suffering. DO NOT TAKE TV 360. 

Hi lena2,

If you had the old TiVo box then possibly you would have to upgrade to 360, if you had a V6 TiVo box then you could have stayed with that. It wouldn't have needed a hardware upgrade just a software update.

Don't want to sound critical but you could have said no at the initial renewal conversation while you looked into the 360 system, different software different features, as has been said so many times on here it's like swapping from android to iOS or windows.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Hi roy247

i asked the lady on the phone what hardware she was sending and what TV 360 was and she didn't tell me. She said she wasn't sure what hardware, just that it was needed, I thought I was getting a new hub perhaps. Turned out it was the remote control. There was no explanation of TV 360, just that it was the current name or something. I had nothing but trouble with this contract renewal and they did not explain it to me when I asked. I would have refused had I known. They also put Homeworks on my contract without telling me but I have been able to get that removed, unlike TV 360.

The renewal process was a farce, they did not help or explain anything. I've been with Virgin for many years and was always a fan but I'm not anymore. They've lost all of my goodwill after this. 

edit: typos and I checked, been with Virgin for 14 years and never had such a bad experience with Virgin staff. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lena2 wrote:

My contract was being renewed and I was told I had to have this "upgrade" and some new hardware. I told the lady on the phone there was nothing wrong with my kit but she said I had to have it.

That's mis-selling and plain wrong - although not a surprise.

While it's valid & true to say that TV360 is where VM's development focus is, and TiVo/V6 will not be getting any new features now - it's also correct that migrations are 100% voluntary and are never compulsory.

The only exception to this, is where you take a new bundle that contains elements exclusive to TV360, for example inclusive Disney or suchlike.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you and yes, I feel like I was mis-sold. At no point was it explained to me and I expressly said there was no need to change my hardware and that I did not want any apps adding. But like I say, they stuck Homeworks in and have billed me for that without my agreement, but luckily I have been able to get that removed. 
In 14 years I have usually had a good experience with ringing Virgin for contract renewals but this time it was a total mess. They got my channels wrong, gave me stuff I don't want and didn't ask for etc. And the wretched TV360 is ghastly. 

Tavis75
Super solver

@Xgriff wrote:

If you decide to go for the upgrade, then someone should tell you you’re going to lose all your recordings, your wishlists (as this is no longer an option), as well as all your series links. I wish someone had told me this before the engineer arrived, or even the engineer themselves, so I could at least take photos of what I’ve spent years refining.

Taking the picture would help, but there's still the issue that you can't setup series links on the 360 unless the program is actually in the current TV guide (unlike the V6\TiVo), so you need to hang on to that picture and keep checking the TV guide every week or so to get all your series links set up. As you say though, nothing you can do about wishlists.

I do keep posting this handy reference list of missing features in the hope that people will read it before converting but usually by the time they come here to moan about the 360 it's too late.

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, default recording options, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.