cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 upgrade slow to respond due to network switch and/or powerline adapter

mikewazowski
Joining in

Got the full shebang with Virgin Media - broadband, TV, etc. 

Had V6, plodding along nicely. Had the usual intermittent internet connections you get with VM now and again but nothing extraordinary. TV worked absolutely fine.
Upgraded to 360 - all hell broke loose. Channel guide wouldn't load properly - missing logos, no info, etc. - the mic button wouldn't respond, couldn't jump to Netflix or Prime etc. as this would usually result in a blank purple screen as would many other commands. 

Had to fight to get an engineer out who eventually concluded it was to do with either, or both the TP-Link desktop switch and Netgear powerline adapter that I have integrated into my home network, as it or they were most likely causing some "loopback". This has been confirmed however, as if I disconnect them the 360 works like a dream. 

The problem I have is that I cannot just leave them disconnected - they connect the bottom half of my house to the top half via my network setup. It is simply not possible to break that connection.

Surely somebody else has a similar setup in their home??? VM are trying to dismiss it as a "me problem" since it's not their equipment, but the fact remains that the same configuration worked without any fault with the V6 software, so why should the 360 be any different? 

Really looking for tech savvy helpers' advice here please. 
Using a TP LINK TL-SF1016D desktop switch and a Netgear PLP1000 powerline adapter. 

Many thanks 

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a few things in here...

Firstly, just because "function xyz" worked with a V6 doesn't mean it necessarily works with 360 - the two software platforms are completely different and so any software-based function is "up for grabs" as it were.

Secondly, using a 360 with a SH in modem mode and your own router isn't something VM are going to offer much support on because you're using kit not supplied by them... but it's a perfectly valid method of setup and I do a similar thing with my V6.

The obvious things to check with the 360 are that the internet connection is "registered" as working ok: Settings > Network > Diagnostic is the place to check if you're not already aware. You say that looping the TP-Link out of the equation causes the 360 to behave normally - many issues with V6 and a SH in modem mode are often caused by ports being inadvertently blocked, and I doubt the 360 is any different. You'll probably have to dig through the router config & logs, to make headway here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your response. 

The internet connection in Diagnostics almost ALWAYS shows as fine. Its the speed check at the bottom of that same screen that tends to alternate - if I disconnect the kit (switch/powerline adapter)  it's always good or high, if I leave the kit connected its always low/poor. 

Internet connectivity remains uncompromised, it's purely the TV and specifically the 360 software.  

A couple of questions about your reply ... 
- What is a "SH"? 
- You mentioned having to refer to the router logs but I don't have my own router - its the VM Hub that is at the heart of all this. To be fair I wouldnt even know what to look for in these logs anyhow. 

Regards 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

SH is shorthand for the "Superhub" - the VM combined cablemodem/router.

You can either use it as a combined modem & router, or use "modem mode" which disables the WiFi and all but one Ethernet port - allowing you to use your own router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Connect the 360 directly to the switch, thus bypassing the PLP1000. If this works then the PLP1000 is causing the problem (not a surprise as powerline cannot be regarded as reliable).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

What's your WiFi like where you have the 360?  If you disconnect the ethernet cable from the 360 then go to the network settings you should be able to connect using WiFi.  If that's stable you can leave the rest of your set up as is and run the 360 over WIFi. (Although I realise a wired connection is normally preferable, using WiFi will allow you to leave your set up as is.)

As a side note, I had a similar problem when I had a V6's in my set up rather than 360's. I couldn't watch recordings from one box on another via powerline adapters. I landed up running ethernet cables (in fact wired the house with ethernet!) which solved the issue.

With powerline, it can be tempremental (a different make of adapter may work). A direct wired connection is always preferable. It's more likely to be an issue with the powerline adapters than the TP-link switch.

sharkin136
Tuning in

I had exactly the same issue with my box - connected via cable and the problem is gone!  5ghz wifi connection not strong enough

5GHz not so good at penetrating walls