Menu
DarrenjuggIns
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

TV 360 Usability Tips and Tricks

Hi All,

I like to find all the shortcuts with technology I have in my possession, so I thought I’d set up a post for Usage Tips...

1. The Guide Button (accessing the filters easier) - brings up the guide but at the channel you are watching, if you are in the mid 500 and want to change or search the filters at the top, you’ve got a long scroll with the up and down buttons near the “OK” taking you a channel at a time, or the channel up abs down button opposite the volume button, this takes you a page at a time, but the ultimate, just to the top button is the “Home” button or the “House” button, this takes you DIRECTLY to the search filters, at the top of the guide... very useful....

2. TV button, right of the control near the top, will allow you to select a new channel and jump back and forth between then two channels, making it easier to maybe watch the football results, which the adverts are on your soap, for example.

3. Voice control, be specific, I’ve had good results, as long as you don’t try long tail requests, stick to things like “emerdale”, “Amazon”, “saved”, “catch-up”, “guide”, “BBC Two”, “QVC”, “record” - there may be a need to do a follow up action, but I’ve found, compared to most voice control systems it works well.

4. light up keys in the dark - works by movement sensor

5. Left & Right next to the OK button, will give a 30 Sec Jump forward (right) in the saved programme or a 10 sec jump Back (left).

6. The “...” button acts like a right mouse click, offering options, such as info, audio, all episodes depending on which screen you are on.

7. A second or third tap on most screen buttons will allow you to drill down through that menu...

for example press home, moved to saved and you are shown an overview below, press “ok” and you then go down one level, seeing your recording and planned recordings, keep pressing ok and it jumps to the saved recording and then expands into a list, allowing you to see the familiar list option, as opposed to the icons, again press the home button to quickly jump to the search and filter options without needing to scroll through all your recordings.

8. Slow motion.... access it by pausing a saved programme and then selecting the right double chevron, you are then in forward slow motion.  Unfortunately there is no reverse slow motion.

9. the “OK” button is like a drill down button, when watching a show, press “Ok” and the bottom of screen guide appears, press “ok” again and it now gives you options, to continue watching, record, all episode, audio and subtitles.

again pressing “ok” on any of these (expect continue watching) will drill down to other options, very intuitive.  As with just about every thing the back button will take you back up the menu options, very intuitive as I say.

That’s it for now... any other TIPs you’ve found on ease of use, please add them.

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV 360 Usability Tips and Tricks

This guy is the real MVP. 
Good work @DarrenjuggIns 

Garyjk
Joining in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The tip for the guide button is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist and even then if you want to scroll all channels it again defaults to whatever channel you happen to be on. The guide should always start at channel 100 or at least have a quick way of resetting it. No index starts in the middle. They've also removed the HD channels tab which given the haphazard way HD channels are spread about makes finding them a chore. It's a dreadful interface and a huge step backwards. I wish I'd never upgraded! Good user interfaces don't require workarounds.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

The guide only shows HD channels if they are available SD channels are hidden 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DarrenjuggIns
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Garyjk,

We are all entitled to opinions, I set this post up to put tips on, rather than **bleep** upon....

Feel free to create your own... **bleep**ing post.

i could have joined in with everyone else about the lack of this and the lack of that, but I tend to like being a problem solver....

rather than someone who moans and doesn’t come up with any solution....

I guess you’ve always got to have a bit of both...

Cheers

Darren

paul0363
Rising star
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Another tip for the guide:  Press the mike button and say "top" and it'll take you to the top of the guide (rather than the today button).

paul0363
Rising star
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to the tip above - when you're in the guide and use voice to say the channel name e.g. "ITV3", "Gold", "Discovery", you can jump to that channel in the guide.

markdyer72
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Is there anyway to just show HD channels in the guide..  

0 Kudos
TiffanyGreen97
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

No there is not as any channel that is HD wont show a SD version apart from BBC One as they only show regional bits on SD channels

Gary06028
Superfast
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely correct it does seem a step back and that’s if you can get it to work