cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 OLED TVs killer

Yevhen
Tuning in

So, it is a time to give my small review of this device after 7 days of its use.

1. Lack of applications. There is no, as example, very popular PlutoTV. Switching between TV menu with TV's remote and TV 360 is not convenient. The question family asks, why do we need it at all if we were able to switch TV programs over with a TV remote on previous Cisco TiVO Box.
  2. ordinary browser absence.. in 2023... sounds strangely. Strangely sounded even in 2021 when this TV 360 box was introduced.
  3. The most exciting feature is in the topic of this post. Regardless, if it is ordinary DVB-C program or ITVX or BBC iPlayer, once you stopped video, Screen Saver will not be enabled on the TV after some time for some very unknown reason. So if someone likes to interrupt you by calls or just texting you during your watching. Be ready to change your TV within of a very short time, if you have OED TV. As a display will degrade rapidly, And be prepared to do this regularly.
    BTW. There was no such issue with Cisco TiVo Box. Didn't have chance to test it with any applications in it due to its lagging but at least it didn't behave so with DVB-C channels.

thanks,
Yevhen

9 REPLIES 9

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Yevhen wrote:

So, it is a time to give my small review of this device after 7 days of its use.

Lack of applications. There is no, as example, very popular PlutoTV. 

Paramount + and Pluto are coming to the 360, box soon - see /VMO2 press release 

Switching between TV menu with TV's remote and TV 360 is not convenient. The question family asks, why do we need it at all if we were able to switch TV programs over with a TV remote on previous Cisco TiVO Box.

You can switch to various TV inputs by pressing the 360 remotes 'Input' button in the bottom right hand corner, directly aabove the 'blue' button

If your TV has a smart remote then you should be able to pair that with the 360 box and use your TV remote to control the 360.

Ordinary browser absence.. in 2023... sounds strangely. Strangely sounded even in 2021 when this TV 360 box was introduced.

The 360 is designed for Broadcast TV, Catch Up TV services, and streaming apps. Other TV subscriber companies such as Sky, BT and talktalk don't include browsers either, it wouldn't be cost efficient.

The most exciting feature is in the topic of this post. Regardless, if it is ordinary DVB-C program or ITVX or BBC iPlayer, once you stopped video, Screen Saver will not be enabled on the TV after some time for some very unknown reason. ,,,,,,,, if you have OED TV. As a display will degrade rapidly, And be prepared to do this regularly. BTW. There was no such issue with Cisco TiVo Box. Didn't have chance to test it with any applications in it due to its lagging but at least it didn't behave so with DVB-C channels.

thanks,
Yevhen

OLED TV's are supposed to have a lifespan of around 100,000 hours which is equivalent to over a decade of use (with an average of 8-10 hours of watching hours daily)   Newer OLED TV's have a bunch of features that help retain image quality such as pixel refreshers and screensavers that trigger automatically when static images are detected.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

OLED TV and LifeSpan it is not about static picture for a long time.
Even if IPS/VA panel is and watch CNN for 8 hours a day earlier or later logo will exist permanently.
Question was about static picture.
And when Cisco TiVO box was used, TV recognizes when picture frozen and enables screen saver after very few minutes, 2 or 3.
But this doesn't work here.
so I may assume something is sent over HDMI that prevents this.
About remote from TV to use with 360 Box, but then Voice commands will not work,
And we've found switching over channels and even launch APPs is quiet convenient.

One more thing about 360 box. Keyboard attached via USB, doesn't work in any application..
Maybe that port is not for a keyboard.

So, continuing investigation
Tried to reestablish STB in my LG TV, unsuccessfully.
Changed HDMI cables, Changed HDMI Inputs on my TV.
The same, TV's remote can't control TV Box, can't switch it on or off, can't change channels.
Despite TV has VM in its STB settings and even two types of remotes. I assume, that 360 Box is so unique and it is already third generation probably, and had to be remote Type 3, but there is no so.
Attempt make screensaver work as well didn't finish with any luck.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've got an LG Nano and the LG Smart remote can control the majority of the 360 functions (but not the voice)

I can set up the 360 with my LG Smart remote by selecting Virgin as the device.

It also works if I type in either Ziggo or Ziggo Mediabox Next

There are a number of different system menus to go through depending on the various LG Models

With mine it's Settings > All Settings > Connection > Device Connection Settings > Universal Control Settings >  then select the port that the 360 is connected to and either Search model name or Set manually

On other LG's try going to  Settings > Channels & Inputs > External inputs > TV box setup > setup by model number > TV box > set up > then pick your HDMI input > then type in Ziggo

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

roy247
Community elder

My LG smart remote is paired to the 360 using Ziggo Set-Top box.

thanks guys
will try today
and will let you know if it is Ok

Many others are the list, but sadly no any Ziggo

May be some other need to try

Selected "Mediabox" doesn't work as well in both modes selected

roy247
Community elder

What LG TV do you have, I have a LG C1 and the smart remote paired using Ziggo, don't remember what options were offered after that but the TV shows it's connected to a Ziggo Set-Top box.