cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 - A Step Backwards

Libanese
Dialled in

I've now had the TV 360 for a week and a half and, although there are a couple of good things, such as voice control, too many things are just a step backwards from Tivo 6 -

1. No quick TV guide available, just the full guide or single channel display at the bottom of the screen
2. Features that used to be one or two button presses away now need 4 or 5 presses. Accessing recordings being a case in point
3. Not being able to specify new recordings only. After 10 days, my hard drive (single, see next point) is 23% full, mainly with repeats I didn't want after setting up series links
4. On that note, my storage space has been reduced by half, thanks to there being no drive in the mini box
5. Not being able to pause live TV on the mini box for more than 2 minutes. Then, once it starts playing, you can't pause again until you've caught up to Live TV. I mean, what is the point of that?
6. No quick access to programme info. Even when you do access it, you get a full screen promo image which completely covers what it is you're watching
7. With Tivo 6, after rewinding it was easy to go straight back to Live TV by pressing the Stop button. With 360, you have to fast forward until it tells you you're watching Live TV
8. Speaking of the remote, the shapes and textures for main buttons are nowhere near pronounced enough. It's almost impossible to use without looking directly at it

Before answering, assuming you are so inclined, please consider this. I do not accept "it's early days" as an excuse. The software is v4.26, which implies it's been through 3 major revisions and dozens of sub-versions. Basically, it should be much better than it is. I don't see Virgin reducing my monthly cost if they are considering me a beta tester. I also don't see them reducing the cost after giving me a botch job of a second box when I had 2 fully functioning Tivo 6 boxes up to last week.

I suppose I should expect Virgin to have made a pig's ear of it, just like they always do, but I thought that, maybe this time, they had it right. I should have known better

185 REPLIES 185

@jonathanpye wrote:

I would assume the Automatic is like a passthrough of the definition at source and so the box does not upscale, like the v6 when you select all resolutions. ...or perhaps it upscales according to the connected TV resolution?

Automatic simply determines the highest resolution that your TV will support and fixes the box output at that.  It then upscales to that resolution, or downscales to the maximum resolution the TV supports in the case of the linear channels (e.g. Virgin UHD and BT Sport Ultimate  are downscaled to HD when an HD TV is connected)

If you select a movie from the UHD section with anything other than 4K selected (or determined via "automatic") you'll get a "UHD not supported" error. (This happens on our bedroom TV which is an HD set - the main TV is 4K but all the boxes on the account, as you would expect, get upgraded to allow access to UHD).

...so for people with a 4K TV, the preferred setting for the 360 box is Automatic ?

Does Tv360 still automatically record the last hour on the six channels you are tuned to ?

Is it easier to switch between the six live channels than on the V6 ?

roy247
Community elder

@BSPN99 wrote:

Does Tv360 still automatically record the last hour on the six channels you are tuned to ?

Is it easier to switch between the six live channels than on the V6 ?

The answer is No, that nice feature isn't on the 360, swapping between channels loses the last hour and it starts again. The only way round it is to press record on the channels you want to switch between and then you have to go to your recordings and continue watching from there, and then press back to stop what you are watching and then watch the other channel.

So much easier on the V6.

Thanks. That is disappointing. One of the best features gone.

HI BSPN99, 

Thanks for your post regarding this feature. 

I can confirm that as it stands, there’s a central recording going on for most channels which then allows you to watch from the start if you were to change to a show that’s already started however it’s not on all channels and we don't have a list of the channels it is on. 

I know it's not the best information but it is the best I have for now. 

I will pass your feedback a long to the 360 team so they can keep this feature in mind going forward. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs