Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TV 360 1st impressions

I had an email out of the blue inviting me to have a new box. As I like new shiny things (& it was free!), I signed up.

A bit of research revealed the new box has been deployed for a few years in Europe where it is known as Horizon.
It is branded 'Virgin TV 360',so I'll refer to the new service as '360' and the old one as 'V6'. Note that I said 'service' as the hardware appears to be identical apart from the remote.

As always with a VM box change, all your recordings, series links & favourites are lost forever. (My sister won't upgrade to a V6 as she will lose recordings years old that entertains our mother who has dementia.)

A few days later on the day I requested, the box arrived. It was preceded by a text that told me to reply with the word 'GO' when I was ready to set it up. (It wasn't clear when precisely I should do that)

Opening the box revealed the usual components (box, cables, power supply and remote).

I was t easy to switch out the V6 and plug in the 360 as all the sockets were the same. I didn't bother to use the new cables. At that point I sent the 'GO' reply text which was acknowledged immediately and I switched to 360 on. After about 15 minutes, the 360 was ready to use.

Btw, before switching off the V6, I did a factory reset as Virgin want their box back. They supply a return label so make sure the kids or dog don't destroy the packaging!

So what's it like?

The menu system is different. I won't say I don't like it yet but features that I used on V6 are not so easy to use. For example, I used 'My Shows' all the time but there is no dedicated button on the remote for that. (Given that it is basically the same hardware, I hoped the V6 remote would continue to work but it doesn't.)

A good thing for families is the ability to have profiles which not only supports favourites but also other settings like subtitles. This sounds good but the favourite marking system isn't as easy as the V6. Another drawback for me is that when you switch the guide to favourites, the channel numbers don't work. The numbers reflect the favourites list. Btw, the 360 channel numbers are the same as V6.

A useful feature of V6 which is missing is the ability to run faster through a recording but still hear the sound. Very useful when watching a 4 hour Tour de France stage. (Press Play and then OK if you haven't discovered this.)

The Remote Controller is different. I prefer the shape of the V6 RC but this one is less likely to fall off he arm of the armchair. As with any new tech nowadays, it supports voice control but personally I can take it or leave it. I said 'I CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT'. The buttons also light up when you move it.

So to sum up, smooth upgrade process but I'm not sure it is an 'upgrade' from V6. It's just different.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV 360 1st impressions

V360, as in use with VM in the UK & Ireland is really a compramise.

Horizon 4 is a totally diskless system using cloud storage for recordings. V360 retains a hard disk for the master box only, with any Multiroom (MRV) boxes reliant on the main box for storage of recordings. This restricts the entire setup to 1TB of storage no matter how many boxes you have in the house, whereas Multiroom with the V6 gives you 1TB per box.

The cloud storage on Horizon 4 is 2000 hours per customer what ever type of recording (SD/HD/UHD) it is.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the comparison.

I was wondering, does the new TV 360 boot any quicker than the V6? Also does it have an app for Disney+?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@mugshot wrote:

Thanks for the comparison.

I was wondering, does the new TV 360 boot any quicker than the V6? Also does it have an app for Disney+?

Not sure how quickly it boots as I won’t part with my V6 boxes due to the reasons I have explained above. Virgin have to date not announced a deal with Disney, so I can’t see it coming yet.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi I got mine yesterday and all seemed fine. I acknowledge the issues that Neil has found and are still finding some. My biggest bugbear at the moment is the Saved option. When I select it the header comes up but it takes an age for anything to appear. If this is a horizon front end are there no recordings on the box just stored in the cloud?
Is there a dept set aside for criticism or faults? Because ringing 150 at the moment is like keeping bird crap off your car when you live at the seaside
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@NeilFB wrote:

I had an email out of the blue inviting me to have a new box. As I like new shiny things (& it was free!), I signed up.

A bit of research revealed the new box has been deployed for a few years in Europe where it is known as Horizon.
It is branded 'Virgin TV 360',so I'll refer to the new service as '360' and the old one as 'V6'. Note that I said 'service' as the hardware appears to be identical apart from the remote.

As always with a VM box change, all your recordings, series links & favourites are lost forever. (My sister won't upgrade to a V6 as she will lose recordings years old that entertains our mother who has dementia.)

A few days later on the day I requested, the box arrived. It was preceded by a text that told me to reply with the word 'GO' when I was ready to set it up. (It wasn't clear when precisely I should do that)

Opening the box revealed the usual components (box, cables, power supply and remote).

I was t easy to switch out the V6 and plug in the 360 as all the sockets were the same. I didn't bother to use the new cables. At that point I sent the 'GO' reply text which was acknowledged immediately and I switched to 360 on. After about 15 minutes, the 360 was ready to use.

Btw, before switching off the V6, I did a factory reset as Virgin want their box back. They supply a return label so make sure the kids or dog don't destroy the packaging!

So what's it like?

The menu system is different. I won't say I don't like it yet but features that I used on V6 are not so easy to use. For example, I used 'My Shows' all the time but there is no dedicated button on the remote for that. (Given that it is basically the same hardware, I hoped the V6 remote would continue to work but it doesn't.)

A good thing for families is the ability to have profiles which not only supports favourites but also other settings like subtitles. This sounds good but the favourite marking system isn't as easy as the V6. Another drawback for me is that when you switch the guide to favourites, the channel numbers don't work. The numbers reflect the favourites list. Btw, the 360 channel numbers are the same as V6.

A useful feature of V6 which is missing is the ability to run faster through a recording but still hear the sound. Very useful when watching a 4 hour Tour de France stage. (Press Play and then OK if you haven't discovered this.)

The Remote Controller is different. I prefer the shape of the V6 RC but this one is less likely to fall off he arm of the armchair. As with any new tech nowadays, it supports voice control but personally I can take it or leave it. I said 'I CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT'. The buttons also light up when you move it.

So to sum up, smooth upgrade process but I'm not sure it is an 'upgrade' from V6. It's just different.

Intrestingly I use a Harmony remote and theres a button that takes you straight to my shows and it's the page where you go when you selet all on screen, and the stop button funtions as a stop button, The 360 channel numbers are slightly different as some of the SD channels are missing where there is a HD equivelent

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Seems a bit slower but I am not concerned by it
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Seems a bit quicker for me but then again the menus are different.  Biggest thing that I miss so far is I miss the wish list and series links do not seem as good as the old TiVo system.

A lot cleaner menu system and better integration with TV GO app and website

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Lofty73 wrote:
If this is a horizon front end are there no recordings on the box just stored in the cloud?

Nope. It would require changing all the broadcast agreements, & no broadcasters will currently allow it. Sky wanted to move to cloud storage but also shelved it due to resistance from other broadcasters.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Like others got email accepted set up didn’t happen plugged all cables switched on went to update then kept looping back round to update the message came up CS1010 error left it on all night next morning it had sorted itself all seemed ok until tried to get apps BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and My 5 the only one there was BBC iPlayer that was first annoyance next is the subtitles have to put it on for every channel each time you switch channels on the V6 it was on until you turned it off same on Catch Up no subs at all, my wife and I have hearing problems so need subs. 
then there’s the thing with when you go to a channel for a program and it’s started in the booklet it says you can watch from the beginning sadly no you can’t we’ve tried it a few times it just doesn’t give you that option. There may be more niggles I haven’t found yet so will add them if I find them. At present I feel it’s hardly an upgrade.

0 Kudos